We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Which hotel is better to stay in? Looking at the website pictures the furnishings at Kahala look a bit dated? Thinking Kahala Resort ocean view or Trump 1 BR Partial Ocean view suite.

I don't even know where to start for things to do/see on our trip (me and parents). Definitely want to see Pearl Harbor. Any activity recs?

Do I need a car to get around? Would we be able to get around by bus?

Recs for transportation from airport to hotel?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Why those two? Understand that the Trump name carries no weight in Hawaii, and the Trump on the edge of Waikiki is generally panned. Not on the beach. No "Hawaii" feel to it. Only a few fans ... most of us ignore it. Also understand that The Kahala is not on Waikiki. It's on the far side of Diamond Head - which means it has a great beach and all kinds of amenities. They will shuttle you to Waikiki and other nearby areas. I would choose The Kahala over the Trump any day. No contest.

BUT again why those two? What is your nightly accomodations budget? What are you looking for in a hotel. You have other great options.

Do you have a good travel guide for Oahu? A good map? It would be best for you to get a good overview of Oahu - then come back to us with itinerary questions. We can toss out ideas to you randomly forever ... but it might not be helpful.

You can get around Honolulu on the bus, but most of Oahu is rural and absolutely gorgeous! You'll want a car to explore the Island - and you should reserve it in advance.

Please tell us when you are coming and how many nights you will have.

You can easily grab a cab to your Waikiki hotel from the airport. Just step outside of the luggage area and you'll find a line of cabs and an attendant. Cost to Waikiki is about $35. The Kahala may have airport pick-up.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Ooops! Here is a rough map of Waikiki hotels. discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

If you scroll down on this website and click on the name of the properties that interest you, you'll get an aerial view. I generally disregard the commentary on this website ... but the pics are cool. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Jen, I totally agree with BLBL. I would not choose either of those two hotels for my trip to Oahu.

What is your budget and you will get some other suggestions.

Things to do? I suggest you look at recent posts where people have given there itinerary and look at that and the suggestions for alternatives to get a start. Then come back if you have specific questions.

The bus is a good, inexpensive way to get around, but I still recommend that you rent a car for one or two days to drive to other parts of the island. Look to the top right for Oahu driving tours to get ideas for that.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Halekulani is your best bet followed by the Royal Hawaiian, Kahala is great if you want to get away from Waikiki, but assuming this is your first trip I'd stay in Waikiki.

The Trump is enh. Doesn't feel very Hawaiian, the pool stinks and for what they charge you should be on the beach or at least have nothing between you and the beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

I'm looking for a nice upscale hotel that is close to the beach and the city. I'll most likely go shopping more but will definitely visit the beach. I would like to go sightseeing but I do not hike.

My max is $725/per night (preferably ocean view but not a deal breaker) for hotel and I want pristine clean rooms with great service. I recently stayed at the Bellagio Penthouse in Vegas and it was gorgeous. Free breakfast and shuttle bus to mall/airport are a definite plus. If I need a car, cheap/free parking would be awesome too :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

I also want to avoid hotels that nickel and dime for everything

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Only three Honolulu hotels made the Travel + Leisure 500 Best Hotel's in the World, Halekulani, Kahala Resort and Royal Hawaiian.

www.travelandleisure.com/tl500/2013/region/us

Halekulani is the clear winner on every level. It is on the beach and has two of Honolulu's best restaurants, Orchids & La Mer. At your price point, look for a Junior Ocean Suite.

halekulani.com/style/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Just looked and a Jr Ocean suite is $1,120/night.

Ocean view is $760/night :-O

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

Worth every penny :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trump Waikiki or Kahala Resort? Activity recs?

If you look at my review from 2007 (I should probably do a new one) there are pictures from room 439, a "partial" ocean view room. "Partial" at Halekulani is not like partial at some hotels where you have to stand on tip toes and lean left to see the ocean.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d9001…