We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

Aloha! My boyfriend travels to Oahu (Specifically, Waikiki Beach area) for a business trip this month, and we just booked me a ticket to join.

I began looking into planning stuff to do together on days he has free, and stuff I can safely do alone while he's teaching all day. Here is the info I do have so far...if anyone has suggestions, tips, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it because my google searches are overwhelmingly exciting and I don't know what to realistically choose!

Wednesday, Day 1: Arrive 7:15 PM (We'll be on Boston, MA time so I fig we'll just get to our hotel in Waikiki and sleep!)

Thursday, Day 2: Boyfriend and I have all day and night free to do whatever!

Friday, Day 3: Boyfriend has to check in with work at some point, so we need to be near Waikiki Beach that day.

Saturday, Day 4: Boyfriend teaching all day. I'm alone to explore...

Sunday, Day 5: Boyfriend teaching until 3 PM. I'm alone to explore until then...

Monday, Day 6: We're free to leave Waikiki, as his work stops covering that hotel after day 5 and we have to book another one! Maybe rent a car and drive to the Northern side of the island and stay there 1-2 nights?

Tuesday, Day 7: Boyfriend and I have all day and night free to do whatever!

Wednesday, Day 8: Fly out at 12:30 PM (Assuming we need to be at airport 2-3 hours in advance?)

Must do's include: Surf lessons! We're not into guided tours/huge crowds (unless it's a luau of course), and appreciate learning culture, heritage, history with more "off the beaten path" activities and places.

Appreciate your time checking out my question!

Thanks,

A

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

A

Sounds to me like you might want to check out the Iolani Palace, Bishop Musuem, and China Town. When you have a car just hop in and drive and explore. I personally prefer to go out as early as possible so I don't have to deal with the crowds.

Pick up some travel books and read up on the things you might enjoy. If you have more specific questions, you will probably get more responses to your post.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

You are traveling at a very busy time of the year. Keep that in mind. You need to pin down your accomodations pronto. You can't do it "on the fly!" There is only one resort on the North Shore - Turtle Bay Resort. You may find (or you can just trust me on this) that is it better to spend your whole time on Waikiki ... as the vast, vast majority of accomodations are there. Talk with the hotel where you BF is staying. See if he is getting a special rate and if you can extend it. This is not uncommon.

If that fails, get back to us with your nightly accomodations budget, and we can recommend hotels for you to contact.

Same with the car. Oahu can, and does, run out of rental cars. SO - if you want a car for a day or two ... reserve it now. Now. And you can pick it up on Waikiki. We can help you with this.

I agree with MrsCombs - you can visit the Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum by bus ... and both are wonderful. And I like mornings best as well. Perhaps mornings at the Museums and afternoon at the Ala Moana (shopping center). I highly recommend at guided tour at the Iolani Palace, and I think they are only in the mornings.

http://www.iolanipalace.org/

http://bishopmuseum.org/

http://alamoanacenter.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

Pick up a travel guidebook for Oahu right away, and a good map ... like from AA or Barnes and Noble. It will be well worth the cost.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

Argh!! I just posted a second question to the forum because I never got an alert, or saw replies on here!

Thank you for the recommendations for museums and shopping - will definitely plan AM excursions as you've suggested...

STILL have not buttoned down lodging or car for Monday-Wed (the 29th-31st). I'll be sure to do this in the AM, no more stalling or we'll be camping lol

Thank you again,

A

5. Re: First visit to Oahu - piggybacking boyfriend's business trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 07:18