We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

Thinking of coming to Oahu to stay in Ko Olina for Christmas or New Years in 2014. We just went to Orlando and it rained for hours on end every afternoon every day. Was wondering if this happens in Hawaii during the winter? I've only been during the summer. It would rain in the morning and be dry and sunny for the rest of the day. That was perfect! This was on Maui. I don't mind the rain but was hoping the bulk of the day would be free for swimming and sightseeing, etc. I don't care what happens at night because I have a young child who goes to bed pretty early anyway.Trying to decide if Dec/Jan will be a great time to go or not. Thanks for your help! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

As far as weather is concerned, we get the same kind of trade showers that you had on Maui. Usually short in duration and mostly in the early morning/late evening hours. That said, you are coming in the winter time, which is our "rainy" season. If we get a storm, it could rain for a couple of hours or a couple of days. No way of telling until about 2 days out!! Ko Olina happens to be on one of the driest parts of the island.

Christmas/New Years is one of the busiest and most expensive times to come to Hawaii. Make sure you get your accommodations and rental car nailed down ASAP.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

We got the same thing in Orlando. Everyone said don't worry it does not rain after 6 and it stopped everyday.

Weather in Hawaii is nothing like Orlando, not al all. 90% of the time rain is a light mist

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

There's way more to do on a rainy day on Oahu than, I think, Orlando, FL. We visited Oahu in December 2010 and it was terribly rainy for the first few days - just like it was when we left LA that winter. Big difference, though, it was warm rain on Oahu. Just like here in SoCal, you won't really know what kind of winter weather there will be there.

You can shop, visit the zoo or aquarium, drive to another part of the island to find the sun, downtown Honolulu walking tour, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, shop, or just while away some time at a bar or restaurant!

4. Re: What time of the day do the daily rains occur in Dec/Jan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:17