We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Hi,

I am ready for some outside input into our plans because it is starting to drive me crazy. 

Please look over my planned itinerary. It is only a rough first draft. We are very open to changes and suggestions. Aside from the amount of time spent on Maui and on Oahu. These flights are booked. 

We are going in March 2014. 

Day 1- arrive in Maui. Hire car. Check in at makena beach resort.

Day 2- road to Hana

Day 3-  Spa grande. Sightsee. Old lahaini luau 

* is there anywhere we could see whales without doing a tour?

* is there a shuttle service or similar to take us to and from the luau? Or will we have to get a taxi (which I assume will cost a small fortune)

DAY 4- beach in the morning. Check out and fly to Honolulu

HONOLULU- check in Holiday Inn. Sunset and firework cruise (Hawaiian nautical)

DAY 5- Farmers market. Shopping at the outlets. 

DAY 6- Hanauma bay. Halona blowhole. Dukes barefoot bar for the afternoon. 

DAY 7- North shore

DAY 8- Pearl harbour. National cemetery. 

DAY 9- Kuaola ranch ATV tour. Visit Waimanalo, Kailua, lanikai beaches. 

DAY 10- Shopping at Ala Moana

DAY 11- No plans. House without a key for dinner. 

DAY 12- early morning flight home. 

* we are not sure how many days to hire a car for. I was thinking day 7,8 and 9. Do you think we should have one for day 6 as well?

* Can we do the farmers market without a car?

* Does Day 9 sound like a good plan? 

* should we try and fit anything extra in when we go to Hanauma bay?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

You are kind of in luck as February and March are the best months to see whales.

paradise-found-in-maui.com/whale-watching-in…

This list includes all islands to see whales from land. Maui is the best for either from land or a tour.

ehow.com/list_7776291_places-see-whales-land…

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
482 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

I'd suggest renting the car for your entire Maui stay, especially staying at Makena, given its location. Much more convenient.... and probably cheaper! Pickup and drop off at the airport.

I agree with renting on days 7, 8, and 9 on Oahu, gien your tentative schedule. You can pick up and drop off cars in Waikiki.

What to do on your Hanauma Bay day, depends on what you want to do. You could explore the east side of Oahu, if you had a car. Go to Hanauma early, to get a parking spot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Yes, you will need a car the whole time on Maui.

This company is popular on TA.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Please don't miss out on visiting the Byodo Temple while you have your car.

http://www.byodo-in.com/

I wouldn't bother going to the outlets for shopping. Waikiki has everything you want... and very cheap compared to our prices. Besides Ala Moana, the shops are all over Waikiki .. and there's a K Mart behind Ala Moana too.

CVS Pharmacy has really cheap medicinal and makeup ... the cheaper brands like Revlon and Cover Girl etc. Here's their website for prices to compare.

www.cvs.com/shop/Beauty/_/N-3rZe7upZ2k…

My Revlon anti-aging foundation here is $40 ... at CVS it's $14. Actually, I forgot to tell you that CVS is known as Longs Drugs in Waikiki, and they have a large store at Ala Moana.

AND, take your passport to the information desk (at Ala Moana) and you will get a 10% discount on majority of items, except makeup. A friend even got her discount on other discounts, so got some cheap clothes there. Their store at Ala Moana is great.

If you need any more info, just send me a PM and I'll help you out.

My biggest tip I can give you is take an empty suitcase ... you will be gobsmacked by their prices and want to shop.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Thanks for the info.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my first post. We do have a car the whole time we are on Maui.

We just didn't want to drive to the OLL because we would like to be able to drink.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

You can book a shuttle with either Executive Transportation or SpeediShuttle from Makena to the luau, but it will be nearly the cost of a cab. And a return to Makena would likely be more, as the shuttle wouldn't nec. have any other passengers, making it a taxi (in effect).

Cab fare will cost you about 125 each way from Makena Resort to/from OLL. I'm going to be slammed for this, but I would cancel the luau--unless you change your hotel on the last day, to one on the West side.

If you pick up the last night over on the West side, you could explore that side and Lahaina town a little, too. Check the Hyatt, the Sheraton, the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, and the Royal Lahaina. All are about 15.-20 cab fare to the OLL. You could even ride the Bus into town ahead of the luau (2.00 per person).

No commercial luau on earth is worth the expense you'd incur trying to get to OLL from Makena. You could go to another luau in Wailea (there are 2) if you don't want to change hotels.

THANK YOU for not drinking and driving!

Edited: 28 July 2013, 00:14
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,631 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

If you don't wish to go out on the water to see whales (which, I believe should be done on Maui during March), bring a pair of binoculars from home and watch whales from shore. There is a great scenic overlook on the way to Lahaina (but it gets really crowded).

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Really, ditch the OLL on Maui...save a luau for your next trip! Yes there will be one more at least if this one doesn't exhaust you.

You wil be treated to whale shows all over, from your lanai, from the beach, hard to miss! But instead of the luau, getting out on the water on a sunset cruise with drinks and pupus closer to you will give you a whole different view of the island. And an added whale watch!

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Thanks

Swmarket- you make a great point about an extra $250 in taxi making the OLL a very expensive luau! hadn't really thought about it like that.

I do sort of have my heart set on going and I am happy not to drink so that we are able to drive.

If we had more time on the island I would love to do a tour out on the water to see the whales but I really don't want to book in something on our 'free' day in case we don't really feel like doing much. Is there any recommended tour companies that we could book at late notice if we decided we must get out on the water?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

You have such a small amount of time on Maui that I would skip the road to Hana this trip and take a boat out to see whales instead. If you are set on Hana, maybe go halfway or so, then come back and do whales in the afternoon.

You might be going to Maui mainly for RTH, and in that case, go for it. But otherwise -- with just two full days I would not want to spend one of them in the car.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First draft of our itinerary. Input please

Assuming your day 4 is a Friday, you should be fine with the Oahu plans. If you were wondering if you could get to the KCC farmers market on Saturday mornings without a car, then yes you can do it. Leave early (the people & cars start streaming in at 7am) and the bus stop is right in front of the college. You can't miss the market with all the people & tents.