We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

We are planning a trip with our family next year. Five adults and two children will be 5 & 7 at the time of travel. The concern is, will the children be able to do the hiking, snorkeling etc. We are looking at a Luau but have been told by adults that have recently visited Hawaii, the children may not hold up to these things. From what I see, I think taking the kids at this age will be fine. Another concern is the long plane trip (coming from Gulf Coast of Florida) We are not interested in the adult only nightlife. We plan on renting a condo at a resort, going to Diamond Head, Submarine tour, Pearl Harbor, USS Missouri, Dole Pineapple tour, beaches, and would like to see a waterfall etc. Parents really want to come, but are concerned with one adult having to hold back with the little one. We have taken several vacations in the past and the kids are very adaptable. We try to make sure we have activities that interest everyone, but the main concern is spending this type of money and not being able to truly see Hawaii.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

When my granddaughter was three she spent a week on Maui with us. We took her to a luau where she learned to hula and drank virgin lava flows. She loved the chicken and fish and made it almost through the whole show before falling asleep in her daddies lap. We took her on a snorkel boat. We put a boogie board in the water and towed her around (no mask on her) when a turtle surfaced right in front of her. We spent hours building numerous sand castles, trying to catch sand crabs and painting coconuts with finger paint. We did no hiking.

I tell you this to show you you can have a great time in Hawaii with younger children. You just need to be flexible. I don't know that I would have taken her to Pearl Harbor at that age but I have seen plenty of young children out there!!

I think it mostly comes down to how you want to vacation. If you think it might be too much, wait until they are older or find someone to stay with them and come by yourselves. Any chance on a grandparent coming along?!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

Well said msFuzz!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

We've been taking our 9 year old GD to Hawaii since she was a year old, and have done everything with her. Do not go to a Luau because we find the dinners expensive and entertainment too long, but did go to Kuhio Beach to see the free entertainment and hula dancers. Sitting on the beach the kids can have more freedom, and the sunset is gorgeous.

waikikiimprovement.com/waikiki-calendar-of-e…

As far as the long plane trip, we took her when she was 7 years from LAX to Italy on a plane, just brings CD's or things for them to do and watch. Are you flying non stop from FL or making a change of planes somewhere?

Be sure and go on a catamaran ride with the family, or an outrigger canoe ride. We

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

I am not a huge fan of the commercial luaus, but if I had to do one, I'd do Hale Koa because you can walk to it in Waikiki and leave when you choose. If you go to one of the ones like at PCC or Paradise Cove you are a long ways from Waikiki.

What was your budget per night for a condo?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

We have taken our children twice to Oahu - last year and this year, ages the first time 2, 5 and 6.

Because we started both trips at Aulani we haven't taken then to a luau, preferred to take them to the Starlit Hui which is only 2hrs long and has activities like dance lessons and native crafts before the show. Plus it's free so even if they get tired we haven't wasted money going.

The beaches on Oahu depending on the season are perfect for kids to paddle around and play on boogie boards etc.

The zoo and aquarium are both small enough for a visit and my kids also loved the military museum at Fort DeRussy. We haven't taken them to Pearl Harbor yet as we feel they are too young to fully comprehend plus we know we will have many more visits as they get older to take them.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

We took our GD to Pearl Harbor at age 7, but had primed her before going, telling her that her Great GF was in WW2, showing photos, and explaining a bit about it ahead of time.

Just thought of another thing we've done over the years for dinner, is going to the Pacific Beach Hotel where they have a 3 story Oceanarium Restaurant. Go at feeding time, kids of all ages love it.

pacificbeachhotel.com/Dining/The-Oceanarium-…

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

Thanks to all for your posts. I think my gut feeling was correct and the parents have nothing to worry about! It looks and sounds like we can do quite a bit and not feel like we missed out on anything. Grandparents will be with them (I am one of them)! In looking for a place to stay, I keep going back to Ko Olino. It does not look like it will be difficult to drive to the different areas from there. We plan to rent a van for our time there. We need a 3 bedroom with washer and dryer.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

The kids will absolutely love Polynesian Cultural Center. There are many games the kids can do in the villages. They will love the canoe pageant, Samoa Village, Tonga Village and the evening show.

And there is no problem taking the kids to any of the Pearl Harbor museums. Of course they won't get the full meaning of the museums.

But the kids will love the USS Bowfin, USS Missouri and Pacific Aviation museums. How often does a kid that age get to be on a submarine (USS Bowfin) or a big ship (USS Missouri) or perhaps operate a flight simulator.

Bishop Museum is also nice. The kids can create a volcano & tidal waves.

The film for USS Arizona Memorial may be a bit much for the kids, but no big deal. The rest of the tour/museum is also OK. I've been there many times with kids of all ages.

Read the Top Question on the right, Pearl Harbor Museums. Scroll to USS Arizona Memorial. Click on the link in that section. It will take you to the online reservation system for USS Arizona Memorial tours. You can make advanced reservations 6 months in advance for $1.50 each (service fee). With kids that age, make your reservations for about 10am (you need to get there an hour early to pick up the tickets). At $1.50 each include the kids. Not a big loss if you decide not to take them.

There are many short hikes that a 5 & 7 year old can do. Manoa Falls, Diamond Head, Makapuu Lighthouse (this one is a little longer but still OK for kids that age).

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps etc.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and the Island of Oahu. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

Thank you! I will look into them. I must say I have really enjoyed reading up on Hawaii and all the posts that are listed on tripadvisor. I have started a notebook for the family to review and give their input. On a different note, I hope everyone that is living or visiting in Hawaii during the storms are safe! We have rode through lots of hurricanes and they are not fun. Our last and very devastating one was Ivan. Maybe the weather will be beautiful when we come!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,057 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Oahu with children age 5 & 7

Why don't you try the Pirate Ship Adventure, and then let us know what you think. See the post on it and get the details. It is a new thing on Oahu, and some are wondering how it is for kids and adults. Might be something other people with kids might want to do, or, not to do.

Let us know if you go.

Aloha

Edited: 01 August 2013, 22:30