We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking diamond head

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking diamond head

How steep and difficult is it?

Is there somewhere my family can drop me off close to diamond head while they hike?

Thank you!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,554 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking diamond head

I would not say it's a difficult time if you are in reasonable health and shape. I see people climbing it that surprise me, old people, fat people, pregnant people, all kinds. And most of them pass me. There are some rather long steps to be climbed, but just take what you can, then stop and rest.

So, I take it you don't want to do it and everyone else does. Where are you staying? If you are in Waikiki, then you don't need to be dropped off anywhere, you are there !! No other places close by that come to mind that are on the way.

What are you looking for while they do that? Shopping, sun bathing, swimming, ???

What hotel are you going to be. If you are in Waikiki, there is about anything you want to do within easy walking distance.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking diamond head

Assuming you only have one vehicle for your group, you are NOT staying in Waikiki, and they are planning an early morning hike- I'd suggest either getting dropped off at the Wailana Coffee shop (open almost 24 hours - I think they close for cleaning from midnight to 6am on Wed) & having a leisurely breakfast before walking down Kalakaua to meet them somewhere in between or if its Saturday, get dropped off at the KCC farmers market to hang out (they officially open for business at 7am but the vendors will be setting up much earlier).

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
105 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking diamond head

It is really not that steep and you get to choose your pace-if you are on the fence you should consider it. It is beautiful and actually a lot of fun. The first time we hiked up we walked from Waikiki with our 8 year old son-it was a great experience. If you truly are not interested there is plenty to do and see on Waikiki-restaurants, shopping, etc. depending on the time of day you might consider strolling around the zoo.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking diamond head

I've been up there with an older brother (about 65 years old then) who is out of shape and had bad knees. He later had one knee replaced.

I've been there with an elderly woman who is a diabetic and had bad feet.

Unless you have a serious health issue, you can make it.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking diamond head

Thanks all! We will be staying at Aulani with one car. I walk at home, but worried about the hill part :)

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking diamond head

Go early and take some water. There's little shade on the trail and it gets hot. That's the most difficult part of the Diamond Head "hike".

7. Re: Hiking diamond head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:18