We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

we have had some interest so it is time for Catamaran reviews, I posted this last year but not much has changed.

The sunset sails and day sails off the beach are some of the best value activities you will find. Beautiful out in the water. The boats go out for about 1 to 1 1/2 hour and usually sail past Diamonhead. Great pictures. It can get very windy once you pass the cover of diamonhead and you might get wet. Day sails better for families, susnet sails are more of a party atmosphere but still fine for cuddlers, just find a quiet corner.

Be sure to do the Sunset cruise in Oahu unless you want to pay double in Maui.

Here is my sunset sail reviews, more than you need to know.

I think the Maitai is the nicest boat overall, wide beam sails very smooth, and the workers are just a tad more prefessional, but not too much. They have some good coupons for day sails that will cost you $15 each. Sunset is $39 all you can drink. This is the boat Justin Bieber sailed on

leahi.com -green sails by the sheraton.

The two most popular boats are the Outrigger and the Na Hoku II. The staff works the crowd pretty good and they tend to be the best party boats, Outrigger tends to be a little more expensive but they have coupons, Outrigger has the rigger drinks which are pretty good. The Outrigger is at the reef hotel, and the Na Hoku is the red and yellow sail at the Moana. The Na Hoku recently bought the Manu Kai and painted it yellow and blue. A little nicer boat, gets a big party crowd.

outriggercatamaranhawaii.com www.nahokuii.com

If you want lower prices the Kepoikai was $20 at my last visit. Kepoikai is the blue and white boat in front of the Outrigger hotel, it sails a little low in the water so it is not the best sail. Their Mai Tais are pretty bad, but beer is $2

kepoikai.com

Also should mention the Makani that leaves from the harbor, its the ones the pirates stole on 5-0, nice boat , a little larger than the rest, and they have pupus on the sunset sails. It si the only boat that you can enter from a dock and not walk in water.

sailmakani.com

Also the Hilton HV has a sail if you have a need to spend $90 for something everyone else charges $40 for.

For day sails no reservation required, just jump on. For sunset sails make sure to make a reservation a few days before they always sell out.

Online reservations are good for the MaiTai and makani, for the others it is better to reserve on the beach, , good or bad these are not the best business types on the islands and they tend to lose things. If you do online reservations double check when you get there. Also many of the boats take cash only, the Maitai will take credit cards

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

Thanks. This is something I had been researching for our upcoming trip. Good to know the sunset sail is less expensive to do while in Oahu vs Maui.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

Thanks for posting longboard. Our favorite has always been on the NaHokuII. Been sailing on that one for many years and always do the sunset sail.

Lots of fun times over the years.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

I think the first time we went was on the original NaHoku in about 1985. Crash (younger version) was the captain way back then. We always have a good time. We will go a couple times a trip.

Sunset sail followed by dinner at dukes is our standard night.

Quebec
Level Contributor
280 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

For those that have been on one of the Sunset cruises, can you tell me how bad it is in terms of movement? (Both hubby and I are prone to getting seasick, so trying to figure it if we should attempt it)

thanks!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

Have been seasick tho not especially prone. Never had an issue on a half dozen sailings. Pretty smooth. Have never seen anyone under distress.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

longboard - by the way, I think its spelled Krash !! LOL

We remember him well from back then. He went to Australia for a few years and then came back. When I was there in May, I asked about him and they said he was on one of the other boats but I can't remember which one.

I have pictures of my two daughters when they were about 8 and 10 and he was holding them in his arms. I keep thinking I should take the pictures back to show him sometime.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

This is real sailing, when you get past diamondhead it can get pretty rough, so yes there is major rocking. Like a lot.

Yes Krash seems to come and go. Our daughter use to be friends with big wave daves daughter, they were about the same age. Do not know what happened to Dave

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

Thanks for the review, longboard. I've not been on a sunset cruise; must include it next time I'm visiting Oahu.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

A sunset cruise is a never miss for us on any island. Thanks for the reviews, it is helpful to others.

England
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My review of the sunset sails, I repost this occasionaly

Thanks this is helpful, I'm torn between the makani and the mai tai! Will have to do a bit of a comparison I think :-)