We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas prices for rental car

nevada
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gas prices for rental car

Getting closer to our October trip. Wondering what gas prices in Hawaii are for our rental car? Trying to figure out if we should rent for our whole trip or just partial. Between parking fees and gas is it going to be cost effective or should be take bus for first few days?

Also, Can someone direct us with best company to use for water sports on Northshore.

Thank you in advance for help.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,076 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas prices for rental car

I wouldn't let gas affect my decision on whether to rent a car for trip or just a few days. Depending on where you are staying, parking can be $30 to $35 a day.

The island isn't big enough to drive up $35 worth of gas, so I think I would quit worrying about gas.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas prices for rental car

the convenience of a car far outweighs all the costs once you factor in everything that your trip is going to cost - including the parking. Do you really want to waste precious holiday time waiting for a bus or a tour bus with stops at various hotels picking up customers ? Holiday time is too precious for that. Just suck it up and enjoy the island

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas prices for rental car

About $4.20 per gallon average.

www.honolulugasprices.com/

Rent a car the entire time & get out & see the island.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

There is a Top Question for Parking fees at Waikiki hotels. It includes some alternative locations that are less expensive.

Don't try to save a few $$ by taking buses, cabs, etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas prices for rental car

Incrementally speaking, the cost of car rental, gas, and parking for, lets say, seven days versus three is something like $250-$300. Maybe less.

Compare that, again incrementally, to the cost of getting your party around on shuttles, tours, cabs, busses etc, for those four days, and it's pretty easy to decide.

And that doesn't even factor in the value of your time on vacation nor the flexibility to go and come as you please with a car.

I know parking fees are a huge turnoff, but look at the big picture and just rent a car for your whole stay!!

Edited: 18 August 2013, 03:54
uk
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas prices for rental car

As we pay equivalent $8.10 a gallon at home......it's a no brainer......for us... LOL!

Even with factoring in parking etc on trips down to Waikiki etc (we are staying on the North Shore) .......I always factor our vacation time as more valuable......and we intend to see as much of this beautiful island as possible.

We have tried to box clever on dates with & without our own transport on vacations before and ultimately regretted some part of it.

* caveats......appreciate everyone has a budget & before I get battered by the enviro's we have not rented a huge gas guzzler! ;-)

nevada
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas prices for rental car

Thank you all for your input.

7. Re: Gas prices for rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 06:20