We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

Paris, France
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

Hi all,

so I ll be coming solo to Oahu early September and plan on staying there 6 nights before going to Kauai for another 4. I will be looking for meeting other people at my age (male late 20s), going to the beach/surfing, visiting some nice bars and seeing a bit the more rural areas of the island and maybe some kayaking/hiking if there is something really exciting.

So the question is, how many days should I spend in Oahu and how many should I wander around the island? I thought I could figure that out there but now I see it is getting a bit busy in the hostels so I want to book in advance. Moreoever, I want to rent a car but not for the whole time as I will not need it in Honolulu, so it would be nice to know the dates I ll stay there and plan ahead.

Any recommendations? Any ideas on which other areas I should visit and maybe of places to stay there (and in Honolulu).

Many thanks in advance.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

I'd just make my base Honolulu and rent a car for half the days. Six days is too short to hotel hop. The north shore is fabulous. Kauai is the island for outdoor adventure, but is generally sleepy as far as bars and evening entertainment.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,312 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

I would base in Waikiki and rent a car for the duration. All of your restaurants and night life are in the Honolulu area. Oahu is relatively small and very easy to venture out from the same place each day for adventures.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

If you want a change of scenery - fine. I'd go 50/50.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

Oahu is not so large that you can't drive to the other parts of the island in under an hour (assuming not rush hour or an accident blocking the road). Stay in Waikiki (the tourist area of Honolulu) for all 6 nights before heading on to Kauai.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

Definitely all 6 nights in Waikiki. With only 6 nights, it would take away too much valuable vacation time to pack, check out, move, wait for check-in, unpack. Plus Waikiki is wonderful! You will have your quiet time on Kauai. Personally I'd rent a car the whole time. You should be able to get an economy size for a reasonable price and then you have the flexibility each day to go visit other parts of the island at your leisure a little each day without having to do a marathon island tour.

6. Re: 6 nights in Oahu - How many in Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:19