We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Monkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Our family (me, wife, and 12 year old son) are planning a trip to Hawaii in August of 2014. The plan is to stay 10 nights on the islands. Right now I am thinking 5 nights on Oahu and 5 nights on another island, Maui perhaps.

This is a combination trip: part birthday for my wife, part 20th anniversary, part family vacation.

I am looking into VRBO for cottages/condos on each island. We prefer this to hotels so we can prepare healthy/reasonable breakfast/lunch, and then dine out for dinner each evening. We enjoy hiking, horseback riding, snorkeling, kayaking, and general island exploring. We always try to take in parks and nature tours when we visit islands.

All suggestions will be welcome.

We are avid Jeepers, so even mild 4x4 trails will be fun.

The Arizona memorial is a must-do for our son,and us to be honest.

I'm am saving now to lessen the impact, but would like suggestions on how early I should start booking lodging, flights, tours, etc...

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Active Oahu Tours
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Hiking & Camping Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Kbos Hawaii
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Hawaiian Ocean Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Holokai Kayak and Snorkel Adventure
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
LA
Level Contributor
11,012 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Standard rental car agreements prohibit you from taking vehicles, even 4WD off road.

You will have to search to find a specific agency that will allow this. There is one on The Big Island, Harpers, but it is 4x the price of a regular rental, and they are meticulous in inspecting their vehicles. Thre are few roads that will be considered acceptable by these agencies. You might be better off looking for an ATV outfit.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

First you need to decide your definite islands - and then I would post on those specific island forums for help with your lodging. I would also consider Kauai in the mix as a contrast to Oahu. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Monkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Thanks; this is good to know.

I'll scratch this from the list. Still may consider a jeep just for fun.

Monkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Appreciate the tip about Kauai.

We are definitely on for Oahu, so I'll check there for related lodging and activities tips.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Jeep - we've had tons of posts about the down-side of renting a Jeep ... so you may want to do a search on any of the major Island Forums.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

If you like 4x4, you might consider doing an ATV ride on one of the islands - that might be fun for your family. I personally haven't done it, but I know many that have and enjoyed it. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Snorkeling on Maui will be much better than Oahu or Kauai if that is important to you!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Monkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Thanks for the snorkeling tip. We really do enjoy snorkeling and my wife wants to stay on Maui. Looks like I need to start a thread in the Maui forum for lodging and activities.

I am surprised at the "jeep bashing" I see. I never get the worry about looking like a tourist. Our German heritage pretty much assures this!!

We own 2 Jeeps and enjoy all the quirks, including the top issues.

Is Oahu so big that I should wait until we pick the condo before looking for good dinner recommendations?

We like casual outdoor dining when we travel to islands. We have been to Grand Cayman and Aruba

How does travel work from island to island when we switch from Oahu to Maui?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

You need to fly btw almost all islands, and we recommend using Hawaiian Airlines. You need to book your interisland flights as soon as you book your other flights.

By the way, it isn't so much jeep bashing as I would say - more like setting yourself up to be disappointed. Folks do the same thing coming to Alaska - they want to rent 4x4's to hit the dirt roads, but almost all rental car agencies forbid them on dirt roads . . . so basically you have rented a car for a purpose that you can't use it for. Just trying to save you some disappointment. So if you want to rent a jeep and know you can't take it off the pavement, go for it! :)

I would start looking for your condo and book that after you have your flights arranged. Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 10 nights in Hawaii

Condos are a better bet for rentals of at least one full week. If you must stick to 10 days in Hawaii, I'd plan a week on Maui in a condo and three nights on Waikiki in a hotel. You don't need a car in Honolulu, and you'll pay to park it, but for a short stay, it's more convenient than taking The Bus.

In August, you could just stay on Oahu, splitting between city sights in Honolulu and a condo at Turtle Bay on Oahu's beautiful north shore.

We rent smallest, cheapest cars in Hawaii except on Big Island, where you travel farther, faster. I wouldn't pay extra for a Jeep or convertible -- need easy, comfortable, A/C, secure storage.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI