We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impact on Waikiki?

Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Impact on Waikiki?

I realize the long term impact of this spill (and am sorry for how this affects Hawaii), but was wondering from the locals if this will still be a factor on the Waikiki beaches in a couple of weeks. I will be there then, so wondered. Between the timing of the jellyfish and this I am not having much luck with the local beaches in the area. Link to the article is below:

…nbcnews.com/_news/…

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

I don't think it will affect the beaches at all but sure is hard on the sea life around the spill area.

I am not an expert but it is a big ocean and feel it will disburse/dilute without ever getting near the beaches.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

Zero.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

The pretty fishies went belly up. This is rather far from the Waikiki Beaches. Like scott say's I believe there is zero chance of anything happening there!! The DLNR was on this very quickly.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

2 days and it will all be gone. We went thru this before on the great sewage spill. Its a huge ocean and there are currents, it will clean up pretty fast.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

Unfortunately this is inside the harbor with much less current than the Ala Wai sewage spill, and the molasses are all sunk at the bottom so it will not clean up that quickly.

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23419233/state-count…

That said, I don't think it will affect Waikiki.

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

That is so sad for all the beautiful fish! I'm not a snorkeler or scuba diver, but hoping it clears up soon! We will also be staying in Waikiki in a couple of weeks for 2 weeks so will be interested in the progress for that reason as well. In the article I read it said that it sits on the bottom sucking up all the oxygen killing the fish, which also brings in the sharks and pirannahs (sp?) ..... eek! Hoping for the best soon! :)

We do a lot of day trips all over the island when we go to Hawaii, so won't exclusively be spending all our time in Waikiki but still .... just the thought of anything messing up that beautiful island in any way is disturbing.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

"The die-off also could lure predators like sharks, barracuda and eels to the harbor and neighboring Keehi Lagoon, experts warned."

No piranha in the ocean in Hawaii. Very sad for all the beautiful fish and reef that is there.

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

Right! LOL!! I think I meant barracuda .... not piranha! It is sad and we'll hope for the best for all.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

Yes, the only piranhas I know of in Hawaii are trying to get you to a timeshare presentation !!

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Impact on Waikiki?

Good one placebets