We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have some questions

Enfield, Connecticut
8 posts
Save Topic
Have some questions

My husband and I have visited Oahu and Maui twice. Our last trip we also included the big isle, but both trips were back in the 80's. I have planned a trip for June 2014, but this time my husband and I are going with my son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren ages 12 and 14. They have never been so want to plan things for all of them as well. Even though my husband and I have been to the places I am thinking about they never have. This trip will start out on Oahu, then we go to Kauai (none of us have been) and ends in Maui. In Oahu we are staying at the Royal Hawaiian for 5 nights, then to Kauai at the Grand Hyatt for 5 nights and finally the Hyatt Regency on Kaanapali Beach for 5 nights. We never traveled in June and I know the summer months are the busiest.

My first question is how much time will we spend getting from the hotels to the airports and finally getting checked in at the next place? That will be Oahu to Kauai and then from Kauai to Maui? Back in the 80's we didn't travel the busy time of the year and don't remember it taking that long. We will have a minivan for the outer islands.

I know there is more to do and see on Oahu so we expect that to be our busy time with more time for relaxation on the other islands. Everyone except my granddaughter and I want to snorkel. We all love the water for swimming. My son and grandson love to play golf. So my next question is should we save snorkeling and golf for the other islands? I read that there is the Atlantis submarine and wonder if anyone recommends that we try that since my granddaughter and I don't snorkel, but don't mind seeing the beautiful scenery?

We plan on going to the Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial and would love to go on a catamaran sail at sunset, but not sure what island to do that on. Also, what other must see places do people suggest that would be of interest to my grandchildren on Oahu?

Back in the 80's my husband and I went to see Society for Seven and loved it, but now wonder if we should see the Legends Show which are performing right where we are staying? Has anyone been to both recently and of the two which would you suggest for my grandchildren?

I also would like to know if these things can or should be booked ahead of time (if so how far ahead) and do I book online or call each hotel I am staying at and book through them? Back in the 80's we didn't have the internet so I apologize if these seem like silly questions. If I could have booked during a less busy season I would have, but because of school I had no choice.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated. I am a new member of Trip Advisor starting today so hope I have put this in the right place.

Thank you. lovetheocean600

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have some questions

Figure about 4 hours per flight, which would include returning your rental car. Things are very different since 9/11. You need to be at the gate at least 90 minutes before flight time.

Save your boat trip for Kaua`i, and do the Na Pali coast. There are some world-class golf courses here, too.

You'll want to book a (no-cancellation-penalty) car and your interisland flights as soon as you can, as the low fares go fast. Book the car as a back-up and keep checking rates, which will likely come down over time. Airfare will not.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

www.hawaiianair.com

Edited: 14 September 2013, 23:45
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have some questions

Save your snorkeling for Maui. Although, the snorkeling on the north shore of Oahu will be very good in June. You might just want them to put their snorkel gear in the car when you drive up there. Which I highly recommend!! You can get the Atlantis Submarine in Waikiki or on Maui.

The Royal Hawaiian has added some wonderful cultural things to do on their property, take advantage of that. Some in your party maybe interested in Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum.

Make sure you get your free tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial on-line in advance. They have a 1.50 per person processing charge. You need to be at the visitors center an hour before your tour time.

www.recreation.gov

I've never been to the shows you mention. Did you know Bruno Mars started at the Society of Seven? Anyway, I think the Legends show maybe a bit risqué for the younger ones in the crowd but then, times have changed and my 12 year old granddaughter might like it!!

I would take the kids and adults too up to the Polynesian Cultural Center for the day.

It would be best for you if you posted your questions about Kauai and Maui in their respective forums. You will get great help on each forum.

I sure hope you have a car reserved for Oahu also!! Staying just in Waikiki is a mistake made by a lot of people and prices of tours add up quickly.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have some questions

I second the Napali Coast for the sunset cruise. Amazing. We went with Capt Andy. The only way to see that coast is by boat or air unless you are REALLY into hiking

Enfield, Connecticut
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have some questions

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Knowing that it will take about 4 hours time and that we need to get to the airport about 90 minutes before the flight is a big help. I should have taken into account that things have changed since 9/11. Now I wished I had booked two extra nights to account for the extra time that it takes to travel, but it's too late now.

I already booked my car and interisland fare so I am all set there. I ended up paying a lot more for one of my flights from the mainland just because I waited one extra day. My son and family live in another state so I was waiting to hear back from them and I lost a better fare.

I appreciate your idea to save our boat trip for Kaua`i, and to do the Na Pali coast. My son and grandson will be happy about the golf. None of us have been to Kaua'i and are really looking forward to it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Enfield, Connecticut
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have some questions

ms fuzz Thank you so much for letting me know that the Atlantis Submarine is located in both Waikiki and Maui and that it is worth it.

I will make sure to book my tickets for the Arizona and appreciate the link. I know when my husband and I went we went on some tour that brought you close to it, but you didn't get off the boat. This one will be a new experience for all of us.

I didn't book the car for Oahu because the last time we went we just rented one for one day and either walked or signed up for tours that provided transportation. I see what you mean about the cost of tours adding up when there are six of us. I better change my mind about a car on Oahu.

I didn't know that Bruno Mars got his start from the Society for Seven? Thanks for that information as I do think he is great and I am sure my grandchildren do as well so will pass it on. I will rethink the Legends concert. I just thought they impersonated more current artists then Society for Seven did when I saw them so many years ago. I loved them and know it's not the same group that I saw, but remember they did impersonations that my grandchildren would never recognize. Unfortunately, my granddaughter has very different taste in music then I do and judging by the artists she likes I would say raunchy is okay. It's her parents I need to check with.

I didn't even know that this post actually made it because I kept getting a message that it failed. I now just received an email saying there was a glitch in the system and it was here.

Thank you to pzp, msfuzz and Mrs Combs for all your responses. I don't know much about the site yet and thought I had to do individual replies. I now see that replies go to the end. I also signed up for email notifications and received none until the one I received from support telling me of the glitch. What a nice surprise to see people had replied and all of you have given me excellent information.

msfuzz I will make sure any future questions will go by island. I am sure I will have more.

MsCombs good to know that you second the sunset cruise of the Napali Coast. My hiking days are over so that sounds wonderful.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 21:52
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have some questions

I'm not sure msfuzz "highly recommended" the Atlantis submarines.

Maybe I misread her post, but I think she was highly recommending something else. She might highly recommend the Atlantis, but many on here do not. Lots consider it to be a real tourist trap and fairly expensive.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have some questions

Yes, I was highly recommending a snorkel trip up to the north shore. That said, my dh and nephew (when he was 10) went on the submarine and had a great time.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have some questions

We just went snorkeling at Turtle Canyon and it was amazing. I wrote a review here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d3123…

Enfield, Connecticut
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have some questions

Thank you placebets you were right I did misread msfuzz's comment about the Atlantis submarine. It would only be for me and my granddaughter as she doesn't like to snorkel and I have never tried so I thought perhaps she and I might do that while the rest of the family who all love snorkeling can do that. I will check with her to see if it's something she would like to do.

MrsCombs thank you for the link to the article you wrote about snorkeling at Turtle Canyon. I am going to send it to my son as well as I know he will enjoy reading it.

Everyone has been so helpful with information, but I am wondering if I ended up in the wrong part of the site? I think I mentioned that I am new and there is so much to this site, but somehow this was the only place I found that I could ask a question. I notice that you are all destination experts and remember reading that you could get help from destination experts, but also remember while looking at the site that travelers gave input as well. I signed up to receive emails when someone replied to my post, but don't receive any and just come on once a day to check. If I am indeed in the wrong part where should I be when I want to ask more questions in the future. In an earlier post msfuzz wrote "It would be best for you if you posted your questions about Kauai and Maui in their respective forums. You will get great help on each forum" I just want to make sure I go to the right spot when I do have questions in the future. I do appreciate all your great help, but also want to make sure I am doing things correctly on the site and going to the right place.

Again, I thank all of you for your great suggestions.

Nashville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have some questions

I would snorkel in Maui. There are great trips to Molokini crater to snorkel or if you are really adventerous, do the Ocean Riders on Maui. They will take you on a Zodiac boat all the way around Lanai, stopping to snorkel several times, even letting you swim to shore and walk on the island. They feed you lunch and snacks and its an all day thing you will not forget!