We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

My husband, son & I are headed to Oahu next July (2014) for a week. We want to stay on the North Shore & want a condo or house for around $1500 for the week. I've been reading Hawaii books & researching on the Internet for months now & could use your help.

We will rent a car. We want to swim, snorkel, do some easy hikes, & explore a bit. We'll also visit Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Waikiki, &try to hike Diamond Head.

We'd like to be in a condo or small house (I've been on VRBO a lot!) so that we can eat meals in, have more space than a hotel room, & have a washer & dryer. I'd really love A/C if possible & maybe use of a pool. My son will be 8 so we'll need a bed for him but are ok with a 1 bedroom place. We have visited Kauai in the past & loved it! That's why we're going with the North Shore of Oahu--for a similar feel--but we're going with Oahu to stay on 1 island & finally see Pearl Harbor.

If you can send some suggestions my way of where to stay, I'd appreciate it so much. Thank you!

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

We love Turtle Bay and have stayed there twice in the past 3 years however the prices at the resort have increased so I looked into a condo on the golf course. We have booked a 1 bedroom plus loft through VRBO for next May at a cost of $1050 for 7 nights. Turtle Bay is lovely, there are restaurants, bars, snorkeling and many other activities close by. Gets my thumbs up!!!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

Aussie, thanks for that suggestion! I'll look into that area--sounds like a good condo & good area.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

Just topping this in the hopes I might get a few more suggestions! Also wondering if we might need to consider somewhere along the Eastern shore/side of Oahu. Thoughts??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

I haven't stayed here, but I've heard great things about these rentals on the east side: http://www.patskailua.com/

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

I don't have any specific condos to give you but there is nothing like the north shore in the summer time, especially for snorkeling. Look for places in Kahuku, Sunset Beach, Pupukea, Waimea or Haleiwa.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

My sister and I loved our low-key week in Punaluu. We rented a condo in the complex called "Pat's at Punaluu". There is no central booking agency so you might look on vrbo to see if anything suits your style. I also highly recommend the units here:

www.hawaiidiscountcondos.com

One of my best rental experiences ever. I just looked at the website for the first time this year and see that Kathy has added another new end unit with wrap around lanai. Makes me want to go back!

The sunrise views over the ocean were breathtaking and we found the location very convenient for exploring the east and north shores. The beach is usually good for swimming also since there is a protective off-shore reef.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

I spent the first week of September in a one-bedroom two-bathroom condo in Haleiwa. It's oceanfront right on a very nice quiet beach, less than a mile from the shops and restaurants. There's a futon in the livingroom that converts to a bed.

I found it on VRBO, listing #68124. It doesn't have AC (a concern I had as well), but the combination of ceiling and floor fans moved the air around very well. No laundry in the condo, but a nicely equipped laundry room on-premise.

I was very happy with both the condo and the excellent service I got start to finish with the owner.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

I've always thought this place looked great on the North Shore: http://www.keikibeach.com/

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

I think your best bet is to look at VRBO, FlipKey and Homeaway for homes that fit your requirements in Kahuku, Waimea & Haleiwa, then come back with your top choices to see if people have any insight.

If you can get into Ke Iki Beach Bungalows at your budget, I love the location and vibe.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for condos or homes on the North Shore area

Thank you all for these suggestions! I will be busy this weekend exploring these ideas & will post again once I get some specific places in mind. Thank you!