We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

I managed to publish my final Oahu blog in the taxi, on the way to the airport for Maui. This has been everything we had hoped for and more. Now island time will begin in full, but we found that here as well. Aloha Oahu! Deb

…blogspot.com/2013/…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Again, very nice! Thanks!

It is no flash photos allowed. But there are those who choose to ignore it.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Just finished reading your blog...well done and thank you for taking me to Oahu. I am not a person who likes crowds or cities..so I understand your feelings. When I saw the street performer it reminded me of the ones I saw in San Francisco. Not my kind of Hawaii! It is an experience though! It is too bad that the families were not considerate of others! I wonder if they should have an age limit. With something so serious and somber, it is sad that it was distracting for you. I am glad you were able to get what you wanted from it.

Your dinner and smoothies looked wonderful! Glad you had a fun last evening. See you on the Maui forum!

Nashville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

awesome blog! I'm going to follow you on the Maui page as it is my favorite island. I couldn't talk the Hubs into trying it first. He wanted to see Oahu as his first island. If he goes back into remission after his next round of Chemo, we might just get to Maui next year!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

`We were lucky enough to stay at the Moana in Feb...it's a quiet and elegant place in the midst of the madness that is Waikiki. Truly a Grande Dame.

Hubbie and his best friend spent most of the stay stitting either on the porch, those chairs are sooo comfortable, or having drinks under the Banyan Tree by the bar! At least we always knew where to find them!

Can't wait to catch you on Maui!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

On the Arizona Memorial, there is a beautiful American flag right in the middle of the memorial which you can see when you look up. If there is a little wind that is a great photo, and no people to get in the way. For next time. ;)

Just looking at photos of the memorial on Google image search I found this gorgeous shot -

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/USS_Ar…

Had never seen the memorial at night, it is so beautiful.

Egads re the movie.. I am so sorry that happened. I don't like that kind of thing either, and how disrespectful of the parents not to take them out..

I have been enjoying your Oahu time and will enjoy your Maui time also - really glad about the Hula Grill it sounds fantastic! ;) It is on our list of places to eat next trip..

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

I enjoyed this blog entry for the photos of the Moana and the Outrigger Waikiki. Back in the day when I used to travel to Oahu for business...and on expense account... those were the places I stayed. Sigh.

I imagine you are looking forward to landing and driving on familiar Maui. Is it more hotel and suitcase living at the KBH first? I'm sure it will be fun, but bet you can't wait to unpack for good in your Surfside condo.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Gigigirl.....I said a prayer of hope for your husband that remission is your reward. Cancer sucks. Our family and friends know from experience. Please spend time on the Oahu forum in prep for your trip and it will help immensely. Good luck to you both!

Jennifer.....it is an amazing island, but much faster paced than is our comfort zone. And most likely yours. But it is certainly an island that I would call a must do and prep for in advance! The majority of folks were awesome except those two young kiddos were taken to the wrong place. Being crowd avoiders sometimes means leaving earlier than others would.

Dusty.....thanks for all the amazing info you've given over the years!!! You were my go to on Pearl Harbor and rental cars. You were right about the car unless a person is really going to be a danger........lol!!!! And thank you for your service.

mamma......I know full well where you stayed cause I hung on and enjoyed the gentle nights out front of the Moana with your crew! You found an oasis in the madness! I loved your reports from there cause I knew we were going!

Tip to travelers......there is no need to push at the inter-island bag drop! The employees will help everyone! Ugh........really it is going to be alright. Why? If you are smart and have time......get the Lahaina Chicken meal. It is so very good!!!!! And get to the airport with plenty of time, even for inter-island flights. It is very crowded her today and we were very early. Our reward was this delicious, cheap meal. We are off to Ka'anapali and our next out of the comfort zone experience! Deb

Edited: 25 September 2013, 23:15
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Deb so glad you and Mike got to check out Oahu I knew it wouldn't be the same as Maui for you guys but I know how happy you are now to be going "home".

I think Oahu will always hold a special place in my heart as it was our first island but Maui has my heart you know that.

Our trip next may will only include 2 days on Oahu with the whole second day taken up by Jim visiting the Pearl Harbor sites he is a Navy vet and it means a lot for him to go there. He has went there every trip except for one this past June. I will be taking the bus to visit Iolani Palace and Chinatown that day.

I am so sorry your experience at Pearl Harbor was ruined by thoughtless people, I have even seen parents let their kids run wild on the memorial itself. Some people have no clue they are like that in their daily lives too unfortunately.

See you tomorrow on Maui, I am so excited you are checking out the west side!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 23:21
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

I tried to find something that says flash photography is not allowed on the Memorial. Could not find anything. So perhaps it is allowed.

Yes, my advice is usually to rent a car the entire time on Oahu.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aloha Oahu......Living in the Moment 2013 PH etc.

Loved your picture of the "still" man. And yes, you will see them move when you give them money! If only I had known!! I dropped a whole pile of change into his money container, not realizing what would happen. I turned away to leave, and he smacked his hand on the bench beside him. I was startled by the noise, and turned around and he smacked his hand again. All the crowd started to laugh, and told me I needed to sit down. I tried to leave, and he smacked his hand a THIRD time! I finally sat down, and Dave and the kids got a picture, and only then could I slink away!

I am thinking you are in the air heading to Maui as I type this... welcome home Deb and Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!