We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay

Will be visiting Oahu in Feb. 2014 for surf competition. Would like recommendations concerning nice places to stay in the Sunset Beach area.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay

What surf contest are you planning on seeing in February on Oahu? The Vans Triple Crown ends in December. I'm not aware of any surf contests at Sunset Beach in February.

Maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay

Hi,

I thought that surf season ends around the end of February. Hoping to see some of the surfing during our time there in the middle of February. Is the Eddie Aikau surf competition still going on at that time???

George

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay

They only hold it if the conditions are right and the site I looked at said the holding period is December through the end of February.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay

There are surf competitions throughout the winter months.

The Triple Crown of Surfing events (3) are in November & December.

As UNCMOM said, the Eddie holding period is December 1 through last day of February. A one day event at Waimea Bay if conditions are met.

There are other events in January through March on either the North Shore or the Leeward Coast.

The Monster Energy Pipeline Pro is (or was) end of January first part of February. This is not the Billabong Pipe Masters which is part of the Triple Crown at the same venue.

There are also amateur events.

The biggest problem (even when I lived on Oahu) is that other than the Triple Crown events, most others do not have much publicity or advertising. So the first I, or most everyone else, heard of the events was with little notice or even after the event.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay

Have you looked on VRBO all the places to stay in the Sunset Beach area are rentals, there are no hotels there.

Turtle Bay Resort is the only hotel on the North Shore but not in the Sunset Beach area.

You could look at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows they are not far.

Here is a rental that is in the Waimea Bay area it is a legal rental and I have it bookmarked if we ever stay on the north Shore.

www.vrbo.com/73249

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay

"Turtle Bay Resort is the only hotel on the North Shore but not in the Sunset Beach area."

Perhaps not in the immediate vicinity but only 2-3 miles away.

hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/66_67_o…

Click on Zoom In.

From Haleiwa to Turtle Bay Resort is about 10 miles. So anywhere on the North Shore is close to Sunset Beach. Even from Punaluu (around toward windward side) it is only 10 miles or so to Sunset Beach.

Sunset Beach is about the same distance from either Waimea Bay or Turtle Bay Resort.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay

Certain requirements must be met or the "Eddie" isn't held. There has to be consistent surf, wave faces need to be 35-40 feet before the contest can be a go. The saying goes: "The Bay calls the day". That is the reason for such a long holding period.

8. Re: Places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:22