We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Last time we flew from Kailua-kona to HNL to connect with a flight to ORD on the mainland we were told that we could not check our luggage all the way through to our destination. We were told we would have to pick up our luggage and re=check it in HNL. Our travel companion convinced the ticket agent to check them all the way through and it was done without incident.

This summer we are going to be flying from LIH to HNL to ORD. Will we be able to check our luggage all the way to our destination? If not how much of a hassle is rechecking it and how long will it take? This will determine how much of a lay-over I plan for HNL.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Hawaiian will no longer interline bags, but on an outbound trip I'd give it a try. Your best bet, IMHO, is to fly with carry-ons only.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Was the trip all booked on one itinerary? If so, then they should interline your bags. We did this on a return trip OGG - HNL - ORD - BOS. First segment was Hawaiian, the rest were AA. Now I'm still fighting over luggage fees, but that's a different story.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

I agree with pzp we have only done carryon to Hawaii and love it you really don't need that much especially if you are staying somewhere you can do laundry.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Since the new Baggage "Interline" ruling in June 2012......the process has changed.

In order for bags to "get checked through"...one must either have all of the segments on a single "PNR"....or all on Hawaiian.

There have been reported rare instances of kindly ticket agents....agreeing to interline them.... but generally new rules apply.

So, if the flights are not on one PNR....a connection time of 180 mins (3 hrs) is recommended at HNL. This will allow ample time to fetch the bags, walk to the Main terminal, re check-in, go through Security once again and proceed to gate. There can be numerous variables on any given day that will affect how quickly ( or slowly)...one jumps through these hoops.

Boarding for the Mainland flights can commence roughly 45 mins before departure, and cut-off not that much later. Cutting it too close puts one at risk for relinquishing those precious seats to the ever present standbys.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

Thank you for your helpful comments. Is there much consumer push back from these new rules? Or is everyone OK with it. I find it really frustrating. Is it that it costs Hawaiian an inordinate amount of money? With carry-on baggage regulations requiring smaller and smaller bags how do you pack 3 weeks of stuff in two carry-ons? We already mail souvenirs and other purchases back book rate.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

I don't imagine many (if any) ...are "OK" with the new change in practice at Hawaiian. It is a HUGE inconvenience.

"Consumer pushback"?.....that would entail taking your business elsewhere, which is unlikely to happen ...as Hawaiian is No#1 for safety, comfort, and on time performance.....especially Inter-Island.

Booking an itinerary on one PNR with different Airlines tends to come in at an elevated price ....vs booking segments separately.The price difference on some routes is incredible.

The new practice is one of those things that ...while frustrating....comes down to being what it is...a done deal.......not unlike all of the various other changes in the air Travel industry since 2001.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

The reason behind Hawaiian Air's policy is that they don't want to get stuck having to take responsibility for another airline losing your bag. No matter who actually lost the bag, the last one on the itinerary is responsible.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

We have done 2 week trips with only carry-ons and we use a smaller size carry-on so I imagine we could do it for 3 weeks.

The key for us is having laundry facilities and it is Hawaii after all how many clothes do you actually need?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

We have not had any trouble interlining luggage on separate tickets on hawaiian to delta leaving the islands (have done this several times in LIH and KOA over the past year). Although it is their stated policy, they have been lax in enforcing it. It's a customer unfriendly policy and I believe they realize that and are not pushing their agents to follow it. Both delta and alaska tried to implement similar policies but reversed them soon after due to customer pushback.

Of course to be safe, I'd leave enough time on the connection in HNL to recheck bags if needed, but I would ask the agents at checkin nicely and you will likely get them to check them all the way thru to your final destination.

10. Re: Luggage situation in Inter-island/mainland connection in HNL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:20