We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

Hello All,

My wife to be and I are headed to stay on Oahu, Hale Koa Dec 8 - 18 , 2013..and am looking for suggestions of 'MUST DO's' while we are there.

We would like to rent a sports car for a few days to drive around the island..any suggestions?

Also, we would like to snorkle..any suggestions?

We love the idea of a helicopter ride, where is a good place to book this?

What about ziplining?

Thank you all in advance, we cannot wait!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

If you're staying at the Hale Koa, then I'm assuming you're military. You may want to check out the website for the Fort Shafter LTS (http://www.himwr.com/lts) - clicking on the "Local Attractions and Price List" will give you an idea about some of the options on Oahu. They were able to book some attractions for me, and once I get in at the end of month I just have to go by the office, show my ID and pick up the tickets.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

Thank you for the info

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

For snorkeling in December, you won't be able to go to the best places on Oahu to snorkel due to the large surf. In Waikiki, go down Diamond Head way to Queen's Beach which starts at the intersection of Kalakaua and Kapahulu Ave. It's a Marine Life Conservation District and runs all the down past the aquarium. Other than that, Hanauma Bay is what is left. Closed on Tuesday's. Get there early as it can get very crowded around 8:00am. Active duty military do get a discount, other wise it's 1.00 to park per car and 7.50 entry fee per person

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

www.greatlifehawaii.com is also a great site. Click on the ITT link. Are you planning a visit to Pearl Harbor?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

Hale Koa parking rates are relatively inexpensive. You ought to rent a car the entire time & get out & see the island.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc. There is one for vacation info for military.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and the Island of Oahu. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

1-800-GOHAWAII

Use the search on the Oahu forum: trip report

Read about 15-20 trip reports. They are a good tool to use for planning your trip.

Reserve tickets for USS Arizona Memorial foe $1.50 each service fee (reservation system temporarily down due to government shutdown). Check it often.

www.recreation.gov/tourList.do…

Lots of info. Most is in the Top Questions now, but you may find some useful info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

If you are interested in a special tour of Pearl Harbor, please read my thread here:

tripadvisor.com/…52877355

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
158 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

We didn't stay at Hale Koa as we used our timeshare but did go to the luau. I thought it was quite good and the entertainment good as well....very talented dancers and the top ranked fire sword dancer in the kid's category...he's 13 and looks much older so don't think "kid"?

We rented a car but took some tours....the Hole in the Wall tour--a lot in Chinatown that was excellent...you eat everywhere. We did the circle tour with Discover Hawai'i, did a catamaran sail for almost 2 hrs...fantastic, went to the Honolulu Museum of Art and went out to the Doris Duke home....reservations needed and you go by their bus. I had already scheduled these tours, didn't compare anything with Hale Koa. We also went to the Navy Exchange at Pearl and they have a great selection of macadamia products and other local food products. As we were staying in the timeshare there was a few things we needed to pick up...Class VI is there within the exchange, too. Someone called us cultural tourists as we like museums, art galleries, etc. We had wanted to snorkel but shoulder surgery put the kabosh on that for this trip. We also needed more down time--I tend to overbook us and we're exhausted when we get home. Not this trip. Have fun!

8. Re: Dec 8 - 18, 2013 at Hale Koa (Itinerary Suggestions)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:17