We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
204 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

How is Waimea Valley and the various botanical gardens in December? The flowers are part of the beauty but I would imagine the flowers may not be in bloom in December. I am putting together my itinerary and have these on my list but should I go or pass on these in December?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,527 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

Well, Foster Botanical Garden and Ho'omaluhia BG were both fantastic in December. We also did a hike and saw plenty of wild ginger growing - just gorgeous! I've not been to Waimea in December, so cannot comment specifically on that.

Foster BG has great volunteers and they had the place all decked out for Christmas. Lots of orchids growing in the greenhouse and in the garden. It's small, but a great visit if you plan to do anything in downtown Honolulu.

Ho'omaluhia is HUGE! Lots of places to hike, walk, and enjoy nature. Go to the visitor center first and they will tell you what's blooming and where. I highly recommend it, bring a picnic!

http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/hbg/hmbg.htm

Edited: 14 October 2013, 20:32
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

Different species of flowers bloom at certain times of year here. Same thing goes for the flowering trees. Some bloom all year long. It's amazing to see all this green in the dead of winter, especially for those coming from a colder climate.

Waimea Valley is awesome but can get a lot of rain in the winter months. Last year they had to close it down for a few days because of flooding. Just keep your eye on the weather report.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

The benefit to the rain is that there will actually be water in the waterfall!

4. Re: Waimea Valley & Botanical Gardens in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:18