We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Grove

Woodridge, New York
Level Contributor
270 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Grove

I have been back and forth with hotel decisions. Mostly between Ilima and breakers. However, the Royal Grove is such a deal. So, is it dingy or just old? My concern is that it is dirty, run down, and i'd have to worry about bed bugs (although I know they can be in any hotel). I like the ilima and breakers even though they are twice as much. What is the Royal Grove really like? I'm debating now if I pay more just for the piece of mind.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Grove

Is this indecisiveness not driving you batshit crazy? ;)

Here is the thing - there comes a point at which you have to harden up, drink the cup of concrete, and make a decision on where to book, or else you end up missing out on the better options. When are you travelling again?

Royal Grove is on the Suze2you list of excellent budget hotels along with Sand Villa, The Breakers, White Sands. Many here stay at the Royal Grove and I am sure they will chime in - eg - UNCMOM2011

Suze2you did say in this thread -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k581946…

"I love Royal Grove as do many people, but it's an extremely budget hotel. Honestly I do not think you'd be happy there. Have you looked at the photos of the room interiors on their website?

White Sands is a step up from Royal Grove even though still budget.

Have you looked at The Breakers on BeachWalk? That is much nicer than either of these other two."

So given your options, I think you want The Breakers. And here is Tropigirls excellent Breakers trip reports to help you see what it is like -

…blogspot.com.au/2013/10/waikiki-quest-for-r…

…blogspot.com.au/2011/10/everybodys-happy-in…

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Grove

The Royal Grove is great if you are looking for a quirky, budget friendly place with personality.

Reading through all your posts, it seems like the other options might be a better fit for you

Edited: 17 October 2013, 14:43
Woodridge, New York
Level Contributor
270 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Grove

Beedoo-yes it is REALLY driving me crazy. I hate it. I just can't overlook how much i'd be saving by staying at the Royal Grove. It's not like I'm going to hang out in the room. I plan to be out and about all day, however, the pool is something I may use.

The big concern for me is..am I going to be able to sleep. I tend to worry about cleanliness and bugs a lot.

The breakers looks much liker but does it feel like Hawaii? Seems to have a lot of Japanese influence. The ilima-i've read a few reviews that state the location is bad and around some seedy buildings (with prostitutes). I love the idea of having a lanai and the rooms look decent but it is twice as much.

I plan to go in September 2014 (at the end of the month) till beg of Oct or in the middle of October (9 nights). I can't view airfare yet, but most likely it will depend on which has the better deal.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Grove

You'd save a lot by sleeping in a sleeping bag on the beach too - but there is no way I would recommend you do that! ;)

I too have a thing about cleanliness.

You have so much time - if you don't want to make a decision yet you could probably just stop thinking about it for a bit, and come back to it. I think you would be fine at The Breakers.

I'd take a good look at the photos of the Royal Grove on the website, and also the photos travellers posted on here, and then decide if you can live with what you see. If the answer is no, then how much money you would save by staying there really is not a concern. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,472 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Grove

I would stay at the Breakers.

Sign I saw at a bakery and I've never forgotten it.

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice fresh oats you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been thru the horse, that comes a little cheaper."

Why risk enjoying your vacation.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 17:01
Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Grove

I haven't stayed at the Breakers but I have stayed at both the Ilima & the Royal Grove (RG just last month in fact).

Ilima isn't in a "bad" section. Its on the Ala Wai side of Waikiki so there is less foot traffic from tourists but it is not a dangerous section. It is however, a little dark walking down the street & there is a bar of some sort on the same block. Just use common sense and you will be fine. I seem to remember that the pool was in the shade for most of the day so there isn't much opportunity to sunbathe.

Royal Grove is old but not dirty. They do have rooms that were upgraded sometime in the more recent past but I didn't get one of them. The room I had was one of the cheapest available with no air conditioning. I wouldn't go that route again simply because the room was hot even with fans running and the street was noisy - I knew going in about the street noise, but not about the heat. I would, however, stay there again - just in a different room. The bed was fine - linens were clean & not old looking. If you are concerned about the swimming pool, RG would not fit your requirements. Their pool is more like a giant kiddy pool, not something you can swim in.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Grove

Read Tropigirl's blog. She stays at the Breakers when she comes to Oahu. There are pictures too!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k692457…

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Grove

I have stayed at the Royal Grove three times and we are perfectly happy there no it is definitely not new and shiny but it is clean We like that it is not a high rise and the location is great. I have never used the pool there but my husband has.

Here's the thing for us we can afford to stay somewhere else but we are comfortable there, Our next trip is next may unfortunately we are only spending two nights on Oahu before moving on to Maui and the RG has a 5 day stay requirement so I am having to find somewhere else to stay bummer.

So far I am trying to decide between the Waikiki Resort Hotel or Queen Kapiolani we just like that end better. These are high rises but it's only for two nights. You could take a look at these two.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 04:09
Seattle
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Grove

"The breakers looks much liker but does it feel like Hawaii? Seems to have a lot of Japanese influence."

Not sure I like the racial overtones of your remark. - Hawaii is a big beautiful melting pot of the entire Pacific Rim (and beyond), and the Japanese influence is a very pleasant part of that stew. In fact, if the Japanese influence was missing, it would not "feel like Hawaii" for us.

Did I misunderstand your meaning?

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Grove

We just stayed at the Royal Grove and definitely not dirty. Yes, old, but clean. Friendly, helpful staff. Comfy beds, clean linen, towels changed daily. Excellent location, beach towels and beach mats to borrow. Would definitely stay there again. Just think of money saved that can be spent on other things.