We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Surfing Competitions

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
November Surfing Competitions

The waiting period for the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing at Sunset Beach is during the week we plan to be doing day trips to the North Shore (Nov 25th-29th). While we would love to stop off and watch some of the action if they are surfing, I have a question about traffic and crowds in the area during this time. We were planning to drive Kamehameha Highway clockwise to the PCC in Laie for their noon opening, returning back through Haleiwa for shopping and dinner. Can anyone give me an idea of how much additional driving time we may need to add for traffic along this route? Are restaurants and shrimp trucks crazy busy during the competitions? Should we just plan ahead to avoid the Haleiwa area since we aren't specifically going there for the event? This is a return visit for us, so there are other parts of the island we wouldn't mind spending time at instead. I just don't want to be cruising along expecting a leisurely drive on the North Shore and have it end up being stressful!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: November Surfing Competitions

"We were planning to drive Kamehameha Highway clockwise to the PCC in Laie for their noon opening, returning back through Haleiwa for shopping and dinner."

It is the evening show, Ha: Breath of Life that makes PCC much better than any other luau venue. You are much better off staying at PCC & leaving after the evening show.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Surfing Competitions

Assuming that they hold the contest on the day you are planning to hit the north shore (no guarantees on it happening at all), then you can add on at least an hour to wind your way through the grid lock of traffic. It does move - just really, really slowly if you are trying to reach the highway to go south back to Waikiki. Traffic will die down once the heats are finished for the day but I wouldn't drive through there if you had a schedule to keep. The restaurants should be busy but not slammed during the day - most people will be on the beach watching the competitors. I can't speak on the shrimp trucks - I don't eat from them.

Basically, if you are just killing time & sightseeing, driving at under 15 mph through the north shore is not a bad way to spend your day. If you have places to go and are on the clock to get there, I would avoid the area if the contest is running.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Surfing Competitions

Thanks Kauai_No_Ka_Oi, maybe we'll just play it by ear and see what's specifically going on that day before we decide to re-route anything. We have the car for three days and really no set schedule.

Dusty, thanks for the suggestion, but we actually aren't interested in attending any luaus. I'm sure the Ha evening show is fantastic, but it would make for way too long of a day when travelling with a 2.5 year old!

4. Re: November Surfing Competitions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:21