We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

My daughter and I are heading to Oahu for the first time in November.

I'm reading all the information I can and would just like to ask, am I better off booking tours over the internet in advance or waiting until we get there.

I have booked a car for a day of driving around the island but playing the rest by ear.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nellie

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Dallas
Level Contributor
23,989 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

What tours are you thinking you might want to take? Driving yourself around the island will be great and you will see many of the outer Waikiki sights by doing that.

Other things such are easily accessible by walking or taking the city bus. You might not need to book any tours, and just decide where you want to go once you arrive.

Do you have other specific tours or things that you might want to see in mind?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

If you aren't worried about driving I would recommend trying to do things on your own. I've never been a huge fan of tours. With that said, there's one that I do recommend just because it's a great way to see the island with a small group and get some great photos that you will treasure forever and that's Oahu Photography Tours. He takes small groups and is great with all levels of photography.

I would look into a day at PCC which you can book through their site or a tour company. Also a day at Kualoa ranch might be fun for her. Look at booking a snorkel cruise. She might also enjoy the Pirate Ship sailing.

I am assuming she's younger but mine is 25 and we did a lot of these things when she was here recently and she enjoyed it all. She had a really great time at Kualoa ranch when they went out to the Secret Beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

Thank you Placebets and Mrscombs,

I had been doing some research into a dolphin tour, a movie tour and a snorkeling one.

My daughter is 17 years old and a keen photographer so the photography one sounds fantastic.

Unfortunately she is too young for a skydive and will not get in a cage for a shark encounter.

This trip is a graduation present for her and we are keen to do as much as we can so long as she can fit in a little shopping.

If you have any more ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nellie

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

How about ATVs and horseback riding?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

I showed my daughter the website for the photography tour and we are booking that one from home. looks like a fantastic way to see some of the beautiful sights.

As for an ATV tour if we could go tandem we would go. ( I've seen my daughter ride one before and it wasn't a pretty sight).

We cannot wait to get over there although a bit nervous as we have never been to your side of the world. I'm a little worried about tax being added to bills and tipping. ( I donot want to offend anyone). We will get the hang of it I'm sure.

Thank you

Nellie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

I showed my daughter the website for the photography tour and we are booking that one from home. looks like a fantastic way to see some of the beautiful sights.

As for an ATV tour if we could go tandem we would go. ( I've seen my daughter ride one before and it wasn't a pretty sight).

We cannot wait to get over there although a bit nervous as we have never been to your side of the world. I'm a little worried about tax being added to bills and tipping. ( I donot want to offend anyone). We will get the hang of it I'm sure.

Thank you

Nellie

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

There is a Top Question for Photo-ops. It kind of goes with the driving tours.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

You will enjoy Alex on the photography tour. He's a great guide and you will see great places at just the right time for some amazing photographs!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,989 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

Well don't worry about tax being added, they will make sure you get that right !! LOL

There are lots of threads on here about tipping so do a search and you will get all you need to know about that. Most of your tipping will be to waiters in restaurants, cab drivers, bell boys if you use them, and maybe housekeepers In your room if you want to tip them. If you forget everyone else, you are not going to cause any big problems really, so don't over stress about tipping.

Just relax and enjoy your trip. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a great time.

Aloha

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about tours for a 1st time visitor.

When in November Nellie? If you are going to be there for the 9th, we are having a TA meet up. :)

That same day, we do the Oahu photography tour - good choice on that one :)

What other kind of tours would you like to do?