We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

I was unpacking here at home from my recent trip to Honolulu -- and I found that TSA took the batteries out of my flashlight.

I always travel with a flashlight - and for good reason. I have never, ever had the batteries removed. With dozens and dozens of flights. Again, this was checked luggage.

What if these were specialized batteries for a medical device? What if I had needed the flashlight?

Am I missing something?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

As in during a random search of luggage? I would guess they just looked in the flashlight and didn't put the batteries back. Might be more a case of lazy.

If they were lithium batteries you aren't allowed to check those.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,462 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

That is strange. We had a flashlight and two headlamp type in our checked bag and I know TSA went through the bag as they left their note.

3Chihuahuas

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

I always carry a mini-flashlight in my purse. I've done it since wondering how I'd exit a ship if the electricity went out -- all those interior passageways.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

This was a regular 'ol flashlight with "C" batteries.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

Good post BL

I think the thorough inspection in regard to "batteries" within checked luggage has ramped up fairly recently.

We just flew Transborder ( Canada- US) last week and during my OLCI there was an extra "advisory"" regarding batteries of any kind in checked luggage.....advising to carry in the cabin.

Perhaps there have been security issues with them recently....i.e. dangerous materials diguised as batteries etc...

I can't recall seeing this advisory during the check-in process before. My spouse in a "battery junkie" and always has them on board anyway....

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,570 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

Sounds to me like someone didn't want to purchase their own, standard batteries! Lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage:

safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

But I didn't see a thing about the regular ones.

The fact that TSA behaves so differently from airport to airport is driving me nuts! One airport, you have to take off shoes, another and no one cares. One airport, take out your plastic baggies of liquids, at another, just leave within easy reach inside of carry on. I swear, they change the rules just to keep us off balance!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,985 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

Aloha,

Hey, batteries are expensive.

…cbslocal.com/2012/…

komu.com/news/…

Regular batteries are allowed, so there's no security to remove them. Or to steal them.

Make a report and see what happens. (Or doesn't happen) It would be interesting.

Aloha

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

Yes well on our last trip to Maui this past June on our way home in the security line at SFO they pulled my backpack out and started going through it. Turns out and I never thought a thing about it but my key ring is a bullet casing that was beaded that I got at Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico in 2010. That thing has been to Hawaii twice and San Francisco twice, in my backpack each trip and no one has noticed it until now. I guess some pay more attention then others.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

Did they take it, UNC?? I had TSA take my key ring once ... about a 3-4 inch brass safety pin. Luckily, I was on a day-trip and parked across the street from the terminal - so I took it back to the car ... and then came back through security again.

I've had the same key ring since the mid-70's ... and I'm not giving it up! It's passed through security a few times since then, but I generally leave it in the car now.

I mentioned in another post this week that I saw a woman relinquish several jars of honey or jam at security. Guess she didn't get the memo. That was an expensive error!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Twist with TSA in Honolulu? New to Me ...

No they gave it back to me without a word. I told my husband note to self leave it in the car next trip.