We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Luau

Hi,

My family and I are travelling to Hawaii for Christmas this year and we are looking to attend a luau while we're there. We're from Australia, so this is all very new to us and any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

We'll be staying in Waikiki and there are 9 people between the ages of 21 & 55 travelling together.

Cheers! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau

There are many, many posts about luau on the Oahu Forum, so you may want to scroll down and start reading. Reading the Oahu Forum would be helpful for you anyway.

Please understand that you are planning very late.

There are a couple luau on Waikiki - one at Hale Koa, and the military have priority. Given the season, it may or may not be open for non-military.

There is a luau on the roof of the parking structure at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and again, capacity may be a problem.

My own personal decision would be Paradise Cove Luau. They pick you up on Waikiki and take you to Ko'Olina - about 20 miles away. The ride is narrated, and you get to see some of the Island.

Are you planning to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center? There is a luau as part of their all-day/evening package. I think there are two luau to choose from. They also have pick up from Waikiki.

Germaine's is another luau option, but I don't recommend them.

There are a couple more ... but this is a good start for your investigation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau

Thank you very much, BLBL! That's a great help. Hopefully we can get into one! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,905 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau

Is Oahu the only island you'll be on?

With 9 people I'd be evaluating the cost-benefit of a commercial luau. They are pretty expensive and the food is usually mediocre compared to what you can get at some Hawaiian restaurants.

If you can get into the Hale Koa show, that would be my first pick.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau

Hi scottca075,

My partner and I will be visiting 3 other islands, but this is the only one where the family will all be together, so we'd like to attend the luau together. It turns out that there will actually be 11 of us!

You mentioned evaluating the cost benefit of the commercial luau... Do you have another suggestion?

Thanks again :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luau

Polynesian Cultural Center has, by far, the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. They also have the best Polynesian show in Hawaii.

Best packages are the Ali'i Luau Package for $95 or the Admission/Show Package w/ free buffet for $70.

polynesia.com/packages/….UoGvc-Jss_w

There are free hula shows in or close to Waikiki including the Kuhio Beach Mound (several times a week) and Hilton Hawaiian Village on Friday evenings.

hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/resort-experiences… You can stand around the garden pool & watch it for free.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luau

Paradise Cove Luau is awesome, the whole setup is very entertaining and the food is great. We would highly recommend this Luau.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luau

Paradise Cove Luau is awesome, the whole setup is very entertaining and the food is great. We would highly recommend this Luau.

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Luau

We went to the chiefs luau. Even though there was a bit of "adult humour" shall we say, it was a fantastic time. The chief involved the audience quite often. Great show,great food and very friendly people. There were other Aussies there as well and the ones we talked to said they had a great time. But we haven't been to any others so have nothing to compare. But I would definitely do this again but book the transport option. We caught a cab from Waikiki and cost $60 but a great bus driver said we could go back in his bus for $10 each. We said OK since it was cold and raining and didn't want to wait for a cab. Hoped this helped.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luau

I have been to Paradise Cove and the Hale Koa Luau and didn't particularly like either one. I also have been to the Polynesian Cultural Center a few times and have enjoyed it immensely. More "bang" for your buck and the best entertainment in the islands.

10. Re: Luau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:20