We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Day 8

Mom wanted to go to church and a friend at home had recommended one in Waikiki. I thought it would be fun to make a day of it. We started with reservations for 6 for breakfast at Dukes. Since it was Sunday we were able to use the free parking at Ohana East for 3 hours. There was a number of people waiting but we were seated right away at a perfect table near the rail and away from the buffet. Food was great and everyone enjoyed the view and the service. I think this may become a tradition....

After breakfast we walked up to the church which was quite a bit further on foot than it looked on google. Those of us that weren't attending walked around Waikiki then got the car and picked up the others.

Next stop was the swap meet. It hasn't exactly been hot this week so going to the swap meet at 12:30 was fine. Picked up a few things as gifts then headed back to Ko Olina and spent a few hours at Lagoon 4 before dinner.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Day 9 - Veteran's Day and Pearl Harbor

6 months ago I booked tickets for our group of 16 for the 10:45 tour to the USS Arizona Memorial. Now all I had to do was make sure to be there in time to pick them up. We left early and traffic was light so I had all the tickets in hand by 9am. There was a sign saying tours may be cancelled due to wind which guaranteed that I wouldn't relax until we were actually on the shuttle boat. The winds were strong but that kept it from being too hot and the day went off without a hitch! Phew!!

I noticed quite a few people with poppies so was really glad we wore ours. In addition we were able to share a couple extras with people who inquired. After a picnic lunch in the parking lot most of the group headed over to the Aviation Museum and the USS Missouri. They spent the afternoon on Ford Island and finished off the day by attending the Sunset Ceremony.

It was truly a fantastic day, both educational and interesting for our group of adults and young teens. This was the reason we chose Oahu for our destination and I am so glad it was a success.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

JC...thanks for reporting! Sharing poppies; now that's some real aloha.

(Did MukMuk wear one too? All respect intended.)

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Day 10

Two in our group rented a motorcycle in Waikiki and needed to pick it up by 9am so my brother and I drove them in. We left at 7:30 and flew along the express lane right into town.

After dropping them off we headed for Punchbowl and spent quite a bit of time just leaning on the rail at the lookout admiring the view and getting our bearings. From there we did the Tantalus/Roundtop loop, finishing with a stop at the park to lean on the rail and admire the view from there. It was such a pleasant way to spend the morning.

I remembered passing the rotisserie chicken place near the big Hilo Hattie's so we decided to pick some up and bring it back for lunch. The general consensus was that while quite tasty, it doesn't compare to the huli huli chicken from Maui.

After an afternoon at Lagoon 1 (since the pool still wasn't open) it was time to get ready for our night at Germaine's luau. I bought tickets on Living Social and mostly wanted to go and see how it compared to the others. We've been to PCC twice and OLL on Maui both of which are highly rated, while Germaine's is at the low end.

The setting is gorgeous and we saw the best sunset of our trip from here. The seating is at long picnic

tables on the sand and it's completely outdoors. The food was ok, the entertainment was enjoyable and the drinks were strong but sweet. They really get into audience participation which really isn't my thing but there were plenty of volunteers and the stage was full for hula lessons etc. Other than the cold wind we all enjoyed the evening. In spite of the cheesy commentary and a really awful duet that hurt my ears, it was fun.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Hey caddy, I thought about it but in the end I didn't think it would be appropriate to put a poppy on Mukmuk. It would have been kida cute but I was concerned about offending anyone. He did come with us though.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 19:11
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Very nice JC. Thanks.

Maui Mike's chicken is really good.

http://mauimikes.com/

Costco roasted chicken is about the best deal in town.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Enjoying part 2 of your trip report so far...keep enjoying!!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Day 11

5 determined hikers left Ko Olina at 7:30am, heading up the west coast to Yokohama Beach and the start of our trek out to Kaena Point. We were hoping to see some Monk seals as well as the albatross and shearwaters that use this area for nesting. We were dropped off at the beginning of the 'trail' which is an unpaved road that is used by locals to access fishing spots. It was mostly dry with a number of large pools from recent rains. The waves were huge and we stopped many times just to marvel at the white water crashing on the black rocks with the mountains in the background. Needless to say I took tons of photos.

At the point there were many shearwaters and 2 albatross as well as 5 seals. It was a gorgeous day, not too hot and the swells at the point and along the north shore were impressive. Our ride arrived at the other end of the hike about 2 minuted after we did. Total time from one end to the other including plenty of time for rests and photo ops was just over 3 hours.

I am very excited to show some of the pictures but will have to wait until I can do a trip wow.

We drove around in Haleiwa for a bit but it seemed really busy so we decided to head to Teds Bakery for something to eat. It sounded like such a great place and I was excited to try it. I found it on the GPS and we followed the instructions exactly. I was surprised to see the Dole Plantation on the way but since it was there we stopped in for a pee break and Dole Whip. I hadn't been here before and won't be back unless I need to use the restrooms. Cute but not my thing.

Continuing to follow theGPS brought us to Wahiawa. Now I was certain that something was surely amiss. Sure enough we ended up Ina residential neighborhood, far away from Ted's. I really should have been paying attention rather than chatting in the back of the van.

We decided to eat there rather than make the drive all the way back to the north shore. The parking lot at Dots was full of local cars so we took that as a good sign. It wasn't. Boring, salty or greasy were the options. We ate what we ordered but decided that we should have made the drive back to the North Shore. Next time I will pay more attention. :(

Anyhow, after lunch we headed back to Ko Olina and made our first visit to the pool now that it was finally open. It was gorgeous but the pool was chilly so I chose to lounge on the very luxurious lounge chairs and spent the rest of the day relaxing.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 17:58
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

I, too, am enjoying reading about your trip, and yes, if you were heading from Haliewa to Ted's bakery (I had to look it up, since I didn't remember it even though we passed it twice while on the North Shore), the Dole Planation would certainly be a surprise! :)

I really think you should look at getting a new GPS, especially considering it's not good at giving vocal instructions unless someone is reading them off to the driver (just a note here - they gave us a ride back to our hotel from the meetup, the GPS didn't say out loud to turn left at one point, and had we not looked, we'd have wound up going through security at the ports)...and it doesn't seem to understand where things actually are ;)

Re the poppies, on my way out of Honolulu on the 11th, I could immediately tell two Air Canada pilots that were in the concourse at the airport because of the poppies they had on their uniforms, even before I saw the maple leaf on their hats. I think it's a great thing that you all do since it's so simple and dignified.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Enjoying reading your report - poppies are such an intergral part of Remembrance Day for us in the UK, it is nice to hear they made an appearance in Hawaii too.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 Part 2

Before you leave Oahu, your GPS should be involved in some kind of official ceremony, perhaps one that involves some kind of burial or perhaps a sacrificial offering of it, to the gods. However the gods will likely reject it, they know where they are going and don't want to get lost! :)

I personally loved the Dole gift shop.. I knew I was likely to from everything I had read, and it certainly lived up to expectations. We got there quite early in the day before the hoards descended, and it was mostly just me and the merchandise communing peacefully - the merchandise saying.. do you want to buy me and take me home to Australia.. and me saying.. let me think about it, I need to consider my options carefully, there is so much to see here..

I have to say I think it is one of the largest gift shops I have ever been in, and also that the sheer range of items was mind boggling.

I could also see on our other visit when we stopped in the second time and it was full of tourists because it was much later in the day.. packed full of people it would not be something I was such a fan of. I like it when it is just me and the merchandise with the occasional tourist.

On that second occasion it was like some kind of bizarre torture experiment - find what you want with all these other people getting in your way! Kind of like a late night packed out ABC store full of tourists gawking at the shelves like they never saw items they could buy before. When I find one ABC store is too full, I like to keep moving and look for a less busy one. :) And you will find one, as there are so many.