We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

We are landing in Oahu (first-timers) on Dec 13 and staying till Dec 20. We were planning on renting a car for a part of the stay so we could drive to the north shore and a few other places at our pace. We're staying at the Ilikai Marina at Waikiki beach and our hotel/condo stay does not come with a parking spot. Considering how expensive parking is, I am thinking of the following options. Please help with your suggestions.

1. Rent a car while we land, find a reasonable parking spot near the hotel and return the car after 3 days. Spend the second half without a car.

2. Take a shuttle or a cab from the airport to our hotel. Rent a car (either from the airport of somewhere in Waikiki) for the second half of our stay.

3. Rent a car and keep it for the entire duration. (Will pick this if people think it's worth it in spite of the cost)

4. Don't rent a car at all. Find means of transport for whatever we want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,361 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

Now you should price each of those options by checking rental car prices on the internet for the various options, figure in transportation to and from the airport, and the cost of parking.

You can rent right in Waikiki, transport to and from airport will cost you from as low as $23 plus tip, to as much as $40 plus tip.

The bus can be used for several places like Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor and costs $2.50 per person per ride. So estimate how many times you might use the bus.

I would suggest that you might want to rent a car for 2 days in a week to get out and see the rest of Oahu. You can rent them and return the same day and not have to pay for hotel parking. Most hotels will cost you in the $35 range per day for parking, but you can check with your hotel for more accurate numbers.

Then you should know what is the best way for you to go based on cost, convenience and flexibility.

Hope you have a great trip.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

It's all up to you. My humble opinion: rent a car for a few consecutive days from the Enterprise rental car agency across the street from you in Discovery Towers (two tall brown towers - can't miss them). Then when you plan your itinerary, put those activities that require a car together. It you want to return your car early - probably no problem. And talk with Enterprise about parking, too. Call them. Make your reservations in advance.

For the rest of the trip, use TheBus - and take a cab from and to the airport.

As always, do the math ... which is the cheaper option. BUT for some things, TheBus is handier than a car anyway.

If you want to run your itinerary by us ... we'd be happy to help.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 00:12
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

Rent a car the entire time. You can see the island much better with a car the entire time.

You will waste many hours taking the bus.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

There is one for parking fees at Waikiki hotels. On that Top Question it lists 3 places that are less expensive including one right behind the Ilikai.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

Great input from all of you.Will make a call very soon. Appreciate your time.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

How much is the parking at Ilikai Marina?

The parking garage on Hobron Lane used to have $7 for 10 hours overnight parking. Entrance for the parking is next to Red Lobster which has same address as Ilikai Marina at 1765 Ala Moana Blvd.

Mentioned in this post
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
910 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,593 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

Dusty - many thanks for posting that the cheaper parking is in a link on the right. I rarely read the Top questions any more and was just searching for that info in my TA Saved Trip file, which, thanks to all the great things I learn on this forum, is quite large now. It's a good idea for us regular posters to read the right side now and again.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

"Dusty - many thanks for posting that the cheaper parking is in a link on the right. I rarely read the Top questions any more"

Don't know how you missed it before. We mention alternative less expensive parking often on the Oahu & Honolulu forums.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
8. Re: Should I rent a Car? If so where should I do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17