We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lei at the airport (logistics question)

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lei at the airport (logistics question)

My family is headed to Oahu for a wedding and some much-needed R&R in late March. All of us have been there before, back in the late 1980's. I've been back a lot more times, mainly to Maui, in the last decade.

Since I am flying in from Seattle, and they are coming in from the East Coast, and haven't been back for a while, I want to give them a lei greeting to welcome them when I pick them up from the airport (I arrive several hours before they do).

I know that there are lei stands near the airport, but my Google-fu is failing me this evening. Either that, or the brown liquor is kicking in. If I use short-term parking at the airport, are the lei stands within walking distance (bearing in mind, of course, what Steven Wright said - "if you have enough time, ANYWHERE is within walking distance")?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lei at the airport (logistics question)

You mention, " If I use short-term parking at the airport, are the lei stands within walking distance".

After you pick up your car, go to the lei stands & then use the short term parking.

There is an exit to the left (I think from the arrivals (lower level) to the lei stands. Then just make another loop back to the terminal to the short term parking.

The lei stands have about 15 parking stalls.

HNL also has a free "waiting area" where you can park for free while waiting (for a phone call) if you want to pick them up curbside from the baggage area.

If you want to use short term parking & meet them in the baggage are with the lei, it's also an option (probably what I would do).

No need to try to walk to the lei stands from the terminal or from the short term parking.

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lei at the airport (logistics question)

My mistake in the way I described the timing - I arrive at around noon, they arrive around five that same day. I will already have picked up the car, checked in, unpacked, etc. I plan to drive back to the airport (yes, through Honolulu traffic) and meet them in the baggage claim area. Lots of reasons for this, but none of them are germane to the original question.

It sounds like I can park at/near the lei stands and then easily proceed to short term parking and baggage claim. Correct?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lei at the airport (logistics question)

Yes, the lei stands has ample parking. Then you just continue to make a loop back to the terminal & park in the garage or other short term area.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-information

Under HNL Ground Level, click on: Download and print a PDF Version (Open with PDF Vista)

Note that the lei stands are almost straight out from Baggage Claim "D" and behind the International Parking Garage.

So you can park the car first & then walk to the lei stands if you want. You kind of need to walk around the garage. Easier & less confusing to go to the lei stands first & then park your car.

Either way works.

4. Re: Lei at the airport (logistics question)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17