We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Hi!

I know this question has been asked alot, but I have a specific question. If my primary concern is noise level (I am a VERY light sleeper) would you recommend the tower ocean at moana or the garden view/royal grove room at RH? It seems like the RH is quieter overall but reading about the thin walls and birds chirping in the morning is a bit concern. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Penguin!

The Royal Hawaiian, overall is quiter. It's not on the street. It's not scrunched tightly with other hotels.

If you do want the Moana Surfrider, by all means get a tower room and ask for a high floor.

But is that all that is important to you? The MS has a crummy pool and no grounds. The original building is gorgeous, though.

The Royal Hawaiian is spacious ... with two pools. Also a vintage structure.

Both have a great location.

Here is a website that shows aerial views, so you'll see what I mean. I generally disregard their commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Location and noise level is my primary concern because I want to be able to walk to things close by (I have health issues that makes walking longer distances harder for me) and I rather be at the beach than the pool.

If I don't get a good night rest, I get very cranky. Ha ha.

Thanks so much for the links. It's going to be my first time in hawaii after 32 years of waiting so I am really really excited!!! :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,779 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

I agree that the Royal Hawaiian is going to be the more quite and restful. The hotel overall is much less congested and it is right on the beach as well. And it's within easy walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops as well.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

RH

Ask if they have fans you can use in case there is noise. Or bring a white noise (sound) machine.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

There's a real racket early each morning at the Moana Surfrider's big banyan tree from all the birds that perch there overnight. I love the sound, but you won't like it if you're a light sleeper. I'd definitely recommend the Royal Hawaiian.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Thanks so much all of you guys for the feedback. I just booked 7 nights at the RH! :)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

I just got back from my trip and absolutely loved my stay at the RH...I ended up upgrading to the ocean tower room because it was supposed to rain alot during my stay and I figured I could at least enjoy the view from my balcony (it only rained alot for 2 out of 6 days!). I took a tour of the Moana and it looks beautiful but the RH was definitely quieter overall. Thanks for all the advice! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

You're welcome! I'm glad you had a great visit.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Thank you for coming back and posting. It is always interesting to get feedback on the forum as well as reviews on the main site.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: moana surfrider or royal hawaiian

Aloha,

Thanks for your feedback.