We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Just booked a solo trip landing in Honolulu on Dec 30th. I need to be in Kona the morning of January 2nd, but my time until then is completely unplanned. I know I'd like to take some surf lessons and do some hiking, perhaps visit the Pearl Harbor museum. I've been reading forums and looking at hotel descriptions and would love some more focussed advice. Here are my questions:

1) hotel suggestions. I don't really like crowds or touristy-type things, so I'm tempted to stay away from Waikiki. I do however, really like a great ocean view and as I've said I want to take surfing lessons - is Waikiki the best/only place for that? Would be nice to be able to walk to it. Price is not really a constraint.

2) New Year's Eve? I read about Duke's, sounds like it will be a madhouse. I'd love somewhere fun without being over the top, where I could sit and have a special dinner and a drink, preferably with a view, and perhaps a little entertainment.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Hmmm....

It sounds like you aren't planning to rent a car. If that is the case, I'd book a hotel in Waikiki.

If price isn't a constraint, take a look at the Halekulani and the Royal Hawaiian. Maybe the Kahala too (not in Waikiki, but close.)

But be very nimble. At this late date, you may find hotel pickings slim!

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Thanks for the reply! Will I be able to find surfing lessons at kahala? or will I need to come back to Waikiki for that?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Can't help you about surfing lessons at Kahala. But someone on here will know, for sure.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the Kahala runs a shuttle into Waikiki so you could take surfing lessons there.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Hyatt is in a perfect spot for views and surf lessons.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

I'd try to book something ASAP as that is an extremely busy time period and your choices will be very limited. Let us know when you have a couple in mind that are available and we can help you choose:) What's available is going to be the first thing to look at before anything else.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 16:43
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

You are planning a trip at the last minute for the busiest, busiest time of the year. Be aware that prices will be high and availability tight.

The vast, vast majority of accomodations are on Waikiki. There are a few resorts sprinked around the Island - and you will need to rent a car (reserved ASAP) to stay at one of them.

The Kahala is a resort outside of Waikiki (other side of Diamond Head) ... but they have a shuttle into Waikiki. I bet they are booked solid, though ... and they are $$$$.

Yes, Waikiki is the place for surfing lessons.

If you give us your nightly accomodations budget, we can recommend some hotels for you to contact.

New Year's Eve - try House Without a Key at Halekulani. Sounds perfect. They generally do not take reservations, but I think you should contact them as ask - since it's New Year's Eve. Also check the website for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (a WONDERFUL place to stay!) for New Year's Eve activities/dinner.

Here is a rough map of Waikiki hotels. discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

If you scroll down and click on the name of the hotel/resort that interests you - you'll get and aerial view. I generally disregard their commentary. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

Wow your replies were all very helpful, thanks! As TripAdvisor was showing availability at several hotels for the dates I specified (including the Royal Hawaiian) I didn't realize how limited it really was. When I went to look at the actual rooms, they were not ocean view. So I changed my plans and am only staying the night of the 30th, going over to Kona on the 31st. When I did that, I found an ocean view room at the Park Shore available. Not particularly luxurious, but it does seem to be on the quieter end of Waikiki, which is nice. I hope I'll have enough time to hike and have a surf lesson - Pearl Harbor will probably have to wait until another time. :-) Again, thanks for the input.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

don't be afraid of the crowds, you will love waikiki

9. Re: Single Traveler over New Year's - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17