We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
289 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

Just was wondering because it seems a little overwhelming. At what time should i book the USS Arizona Memorial? early morning or early afternoon? Or should I book the passport they offer?

Thanks!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

I laid out a possible schedule in post number 3 in this thread -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k700495…

It really depends on what you most want to see there, and also how you are going to get there. Will you have a car?

I probably would not get the passport because you probably will not know until the day what you are going to end up wanting to see or how long things will take.

We went on the first boat on our last visit and that actually ties you up a little bit because you have to be there at 7 to pick up your tickets for the 8am boat, and you have to be at the Theatre at 7:50am for the tour. If you go with the second boat, you might be able to fit in a visit to the Bowfin if you choose to arrive at 7am as that takes about one hour.

I certainly would not take back the early arrival, though it did cost us money in taxi fare. There is something really special about Pearl Harbor first thing in the morning. In fact I would budget that early arrival in to any future trips though you might be better off hiring a car than catching a taxi.

Hope that helps. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

If you're booked - you have a reservation. So, you can come whenever you like! That's the cool thing about reservations.

Personally - I love early morning because they are beautiful! And the parking is easier if you are driving.

The passport ... you can if you want ... and if you think you want to see all that Pearl Harbor offers ... but most of us will agree that the USS Arizona is what you need to pin down ahead of time. The other activities can handle much larger groups or are simply not as popular. I'd wait until I arrived for admission to those.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

I have to agree with BLBL. The mornings are the best part of the day to me in Hawaii no matter what you are doing. It's just so peaceful and the light is beautiful for picture taking too.

So I would book in the morning and get out there and do the Arizona Memorial, then you have as much time as you want to see the other things you might be interested in.

But the main thing, is get reservations for your time for the Arizona. Everything else can work around that.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

I'd pick a morning slot, probably not the first one of the day as mentioned by others, so you can see the AZ first thing and not have to worry about being stuck waiting for the shuttle on Ford Island or in the midst of a Bowfin tour and getting back in time for an afternoon reservation. Do the AZ first and then you'll have the rest of the day to see whatever you want and you won't have to give your time slot a second thought. If you have a bit of time to kill with a morning slot, there are two exhibit buildings very close by which are no extra charge that you can wander through. I agree with the others about not getting the passport package. We did that and ran out of time to see the Bowfin, and we had paid for it, so we were out the money because we didn't want to return a second day. We did this visit in September. If I had to do it again, I'd do it like this: AZ (with exhibit buildings before or after), Bowfin, lunch, shuttle to Ford Island to the USS Missouri and then, only if you have time and it really interests you, the Pacific Aviation Museum. Obviously, this is my opinion, and there will be some people who think the Pacific Aviation Museum is the best thing out there. We thought it was alright, but not a "wow" thing like the AZ and the Missouri. It also didn't take as much time to see as the Missouri.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
289 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

Thanks everyone...I got the 10am slot. =)

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

There you go !!

You know you must be there an hour earlier to claim your tickets don't you? And, you can not carry ANY BAGS of any kind into Pearl Harbor. Only what you can carry in your hands or stuff into your pockets.

7. Re: What time should I pre book the USS Arizona Memorial?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:17