We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 7th

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
December 7th

We will be there 2 months from tomorrow and already have our reservations, but I am wondering what the Pearl Harbor area is like today. 72 years later, I guess the WWII vets ranks are a lot slimmer but I hope this is still a reverent day on the island and especially at Pearl Harbor.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 7th

Frank3 - yes and they had a nice ceremony there today that I was able to watch on foxnews.com streaming cam. It is and always will be a remembered and reverent day.

Thanks again to all who are serving, those who have served, and most of all to those who made the ultimate sacrifices, both those injured and those who died.

We all owe you our gratitude and remembrance of your service.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 22:29
Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December 7th

Indeed we do placebets!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December 7th

A slide show marking the anniversary:

…yahoo.com/photos/…

Photo #10 shows USS Halsey passing the USS Memorial and the sailors hand saluting as they pass. I remember the moment well as I have done that many times on ships I was on.

There are only hundreds of Pearl Harbor survivors left. Considering this was the 72nd anniversary, one would need to be about 90 years old or older to have been in the U.S. military then.

I wish the anniversary would be about the attack on Oahu and not just Pearl Harbor. Schofield Barracks, Bellows Field and Hickam Field also were attacked and suffered casualties. There were also civilian casualties on the island.

I do not know if any of the other military bases on Oahu have a ceremony to mark the anniversary.

I hope some of you that are on Oahu watched the parade in Waikiki yesterday.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December 7th

Thanks Dusty, great pictures. What faces on those guys who were there !!

5. Re: December 7th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17