We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki to airport

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki to airport

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how early we need to be at the airport (HNL) to catch our flight to Maui?

Also how early we have to be at the airport (HNL) to catch an international flight to Australia?

I am going to book our transfers with Hawaii 23 so would just like to know how much time to allow.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki to airport

Well, Minny, depends on which day of the week and what time of the day your plane(s) leave? Chuck.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki to airport

Sorry I should have added more detail.

First one is from Hawaii Prince hotel to airport on a Tuesday in March. The flight from HNL to Maui leaves at 9.45am.

Second one is from the Beachcomber Holiday inn to airport on a Saturday in March. The flight is from HNL to Australia and leaves at 8.15am

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Virginia
Level Contributor
691 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki to airport

The airline usually has a specific requirement.... typically it is 1.5 to 2 hours ahead of time. I always add about an hour for transportation to the airport--but that is because I would have a rental car, so that needs a bit of time on top of travel. If you are being dropped off at the airport, you could allow a little less time for transportation.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki to airport

Interisland flights - you should be at the airport at least 90 minutes in advance. Security can really get backed up ... so 2 hours is better.

Same for your flight back to Australia ... only 2 hours would be the minimum.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki to airport

As has been mentioned, a two hour arrival is probably the safest. Also, that is upon arrival AT HNL, and not including dropping off rental vehicles (though some, like Hertz, are but a few steps). You will also be putting your luggage through the Ag screen, then your bodies, through TSA.

Not sure if you will need to check luggage in special location, since you will be going to OZ. With Ag and TSA, curbside at HNL is not really an option, anymore, even for US citizens, flying back to the Mainland. We usually drop luggage (and my wife) off at curbside, then get a skycap to get luggage through Ag, while I return the rental car, and walk back to get with her. By the time that I do so, with express check-out with Hertz, the bags are usually waiting in the United Premiere line, ready for me to show my ID. That "extra service" is well worth my tip, of about US $ 5/bag. It also shaves a few minutes off the procedure, so well-worth it to us.

Inter-Island can require less time, BUT can be busy, depending on the exact day - some folk fly Inter-Island for work, and others to visit families for holidays, etc.

For US Mainland to/from HNL, we always allow about 2.5 hours, but that is just us. We then kill any extra time in a United Lounge, until flight time.

6. Re: Waikiki to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20