We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation In Hawaii

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Family Vacation In Hawaii

We are a family of four with 2 daughters, ages 10 and 20. We are planning a trip to Hawaii for 3 weeks. My cuurent thoughts are some time on Oahu and Kauai. Maybe some time on Maui, but it does seem flights between islands are a bit pricey. I am thinking to rent a condo for some time, stay in anice kid freindly resort for some time and maybe some budget hotel time as well. I am looking for any advice as I am just starting the planning of this trip that we will be taking in July.

Thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,765 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation In Hawaii

You can certainly do 3 islands if you are there for 3 weeks, but you are right, it can get expensive changing islands.

You just are going to have to decide what islands you intend to do based on studying a little bit on here and other places and look at expenses.

Then, once you have decided what islands, decide what kind of accommodations you want, what will be your dates of travel, and what your budgets are for each island.

Then come back and post on the forum for those islands that information and you will get some help.

July is going to be high season since kids are out of school, so keep that in mind when you set your expectations for room costs.

If I were doing it, I would spend half the time on Oahu in Waikiki and the other half on Maui. Kauai is beautiful, but a little quiet for me and our kids were not nearly as happy there as they were on Waikiki beach.

So, get some thoughts together and then come back with more specific questions and lots of nice people here will be glad to help.

Aloha

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation In Hawaii

3 weeks I would do a week on each island including Maui. Maui is my fav. Love that island by far the best.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation In Hawaii

We got back yesterday from a family vacation on Oahu, parents and two teen girls ages 17 and 16. We rented a two-bedroom two-bath condo next to Turtle Bay, using VRBO, and were very happy with the space and price ($199/night). We went snorkeling, the girls went in a sea kayak, we swam in a waterfall at Waimea Falls, we saw sea turtles and seals. We also visited the USS Arizona Memorial and very briefly went to Waikiki. Surprisingly neither of the girls liked Waikiki, finding it too crowded and commercial.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,931 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation In Hawaii

Bob, you are wise to be planning in advance.

How many nights will you have in Hawaii? Also count your nights, not your weeks or days.

Yes, you could probably visit 3 Islands comfortably ... understanding that you will need to fly between the major Islands, and that the transition process will consume at least a 1/2 day.

Any of the Islands would be great! The tough part is choosing them.

You will want to fly on Hawaiian Airlines between the Islands, and you will note that some times of the day are cheaper than others. Also - see if you can fly directly into your first Island and home from your last Island - cutting out the need for an interisland flight.

Establish a nightly accomodations budget for each Island. Perhaps a condo on one Island and a resort on another. You'll also want to reserve your car/s in advance.

Stick with us, and we can help you.

5. Re: Family Vacation In Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18