We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu March 2014

Comox, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Oahu March 2014

Hi

My mom and I are going to Oahu for the first time in March. We will be staying for 7 days on Waikiki beach.

Some of the things we are planning on doing:

-Waikiki beach walk (best stores for beach wear)

-Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre

- Paradise Cove Luau

-Sea Life Park

-Cultural activities at the hotel or Royal Hawaiian Shopping centre

-Bishop museum

-Try stand up paddle boarding - hoping to try it on the lagoon by the Hilton hotel. Any ideas on how to go about lessons and are they offered at the lagoon? Any recommendations on good lessons would be great.

Does anyone know of some special events or concerts taking place in March?

Open to more suggestions as this is our first time in Oahu. Good on a budget restaurants? Sea food restaurants? We will not be renting a car.

thank you

Erin

Virginia
Level Contributor
676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu March 2014

Re: Stand up paddle boarding at the lagoon--I think they do offer lessons if you ask, but you won't really need them in the lagoon area. Meaning, it is very calm and you can figure it out really quickly. But I did see some guy there that seemed to be giving tips/lessons while I was trying it out. I would suggest to give it a go on your own, as in calm waters like the lagoon it is easy to figure out. I really enjoyed it a lot...the lagoon is nice.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu March 2014

The main shopping center in Honolulu ... easily available by bus ... is the Ala Moana (shopping) Center. The largest open-air shopping mall in the USA. Although the Beachwalk and the Royal Hawaiian Center are "nice," they are not even slightly in the same league as the Ala Moana Center. The Ward Centers are also a great place to shop. Pull them both up online.

Sea Life Park - a disappointment in my opinion ... expensive and not much to it. Lovely area, though. I would opt for Kualoa Ranch and/or the Polynesian Cultural Center far and above Sea Life Park.

Bishop Museum is great! Also consider Iolani Palace ... and get a guided tour.

For special events, pick up a copy of the StarAdvertiser (Honolulu newspaper) daily. The Friday edition is especially helpful.

Please tell us where you are staying. And scroll down through the Oahu Forum for consistent questions about restaurants. Look to the side of this screen for "Amberloo and Food" under "Top Questions."

No visit to Pearl Harbor?

Comox, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu March 2014

What about the waikiki aquarium? Is it better than sea life park?

We will be staying at the outrigger.

I would love to tour the gardens and see the animals at the hilton. Is it possible to do these things without being hotel guests? Is there a fee for seeing the penguins and other animals?

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu March 2014

Also re SUP - the rentals were more expensive at the Hilton than all others along the beach (think $5-10). If Waikiki is calm when you're there, I'd try it on the beach. It's super easy, most rentals give you a few quick tips when they give you the board. I agree not much need for a real lesson.

I just learnt something new - didn't realise the ala moana was the largest open air, I do love that mall!

Upland, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu March 2014

Do yourself a favor and be sure to check out the Aloha Stadium Flea Market, open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. If you don't have a rental car you can ask your hotel about which bus to take. Great fun, lots to see and some real bargains. If you buy "high end" items (jewelry, art) use your credit card if that will make you feel better about spending "big bucks" at a flea market. I've been going for years and have never had an issue.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu March 2014

You can visit and walk thru the hotels without having to be a guest... you can dine in their restaurants, shop in their shops, stop for a drink in their bars, etc...

For the HHV... look on their website for the feeding times for the fish and the penguins... it is pretty cool :) I think it is a beautiful resort!

Manistique...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu March 2014

We were there last March and there was an international parade that went for hours. The costumes were amazing. Also, there are amazing places to eat and if you are on a budget there are reasonable places to eat and a nice grocery store on Kuheo Ave. We did the Island tours and both were nice but when we go back, we plan to figure out the city/ Island bus system. We understand that the 55 bus goes across the island. We also did Paradise Cove and it was great. The show was excellent though I didn't think the food was special but it was good. Next time, I want to go to the Cultural Center for a day. On every corner, there are free booklets that will give you some good tips and they have a map in them. We spent a month there so if you wanted to ask any questions, feel free.

8. Re: Oahu March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2015, 06:16