We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

Washington, IL
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

Hi! I am coming to Waikiki in March. I just purchased a Groupon deal for an outrigger canoe ride from Hawaiian Surf Adventures after reading great reviews of that experience. I can schedule that for either 10 am or 1 pm. I would also like to climb the Koko Head trail. I will not have a car. I see instructions for taking the #22 bus from Waikiki to Hawaiian Surf Adventures. I would love advice about which of these activities to do first and how to get from one to the other, and if this is really a feasible plan to do both in one day. Thank you!!

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

Go to google maps and put in the destination and start point, then hit the bus symbol and it will tell you which buses and how long it will take. You can then change it to show from Koko to the surf place, or reverse.

Be carefull of the Koko address you put in as there is a horse stable and other things that are similar when you input it. Look at Koko Head crater on tripadviser and read some reviews, there are some that tell you how to get there by bus, and the best way to get there.

You might find it will be easier to do them on 2 separate days.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

I like doing Koko Head early in the morning because of temperatures and lack of crowds. If you are in good condition then you will have no problem doing both the same day. However, if you aren't in good shape you may want to consider two different days.

I suggest a car, but the bus will serve you well.

I really enjoy Koko Head and when on the island I try to do it at least once a week.

Have fun!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

Definitely do Koko Head in the morning, as early as possible. We went for sunrise and by the time we came down at 8am it was getting pretty warm. I would not want to have started after 8am. It is not really a long hike, just hard.

If you went to Koko Head early in the morning, you could have a few hours to recuperate before a 1pm canoe ride.

Washington, IL
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

I am coming for a conference, so I really only have one full day. I am pretty fit and energetic, so I want to try both, even if I am exhausted at the end of the day.

It looks like the earliest bus from Waikiki to the Koko Head trail head leaves at 8:00 a.m. I wish I could go earlier, so please correct me if I am mistaken about that. I guess I will go by bus, do the trail, then take the bus to the Surf Adventure place and get some lunch in that area and do the 1:00 outrigger tour. Thanks for the help!

5. Re: Help planning day trip from Waikiki to Koko Head and ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19