We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please point me in the right direction!!!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Please point me in the right direction!!!

My daughter and I have been planning a trip to Kauai for the past month, tons of research, lots of time put in. Unfortunately, because she is coming from Bethel, Alaska she is at the mercy of Alaska air and we have decided on Oahu because of time and money constraints.

I have no idea where to start!! If I give you some criteria would you please give me some ideas on where to start looking for a condo?

We want to be ON the beach, not a short walk. I don't want to be teased with the sounds of the waves if I can't stare at them. A complex that has a few restaurants close by would be great. Neither one of us wants to be near thousands of tourists as this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. We will have a car and plan to do some day trips but finding a home base is tops.

One bedroom is fine if there is a pullout sofa, Kitchen is a must so no studio. Budget is $225 a night including taxes and fees.

The one place I have found is Hawaiian Princess on the west coast. All condos have gorgeous views. Does anyone know if there are longer accessible beaches close to here? We want to hike, stand up paddle board, and have some good places to eat.

Thanks for your help. If the Hawaiian Princess is in a good area for us I have many choices there.

Kris

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

I am not sure why you are limited - she can fly into Oahu and then hop a short flight to Kauai on Hawaiian airlines. Alaska air also flies into Kauai, so . . . I am a bit puzzled about the problem.

Not to say that you can't enjoy Oahu, but really no need to not be in Kauai if you have already researched there. When are you coming to Hawaii? And how many days do you have? That would help. :)

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

I'm with coalminer. From the way it sounds I think you are better off going to Kauai, it is likely between $150 to $200 per person for the interisland roundtrip flight between Kauai and Honolulu. Check Hawaiian Airlines for the most frequent and on-time flights.

Hawaiian Princess is not in the most convenient location. Other than the beach right in front of the complex, you will have to drive for everything else. When you are coming? Some months the waves there are higher than others.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Airfare for my daughter drops dramatically, as does the travel time, if we go to Oahu versus Kauai. She lives in the middle of nowhere and going to Kauai means she is traveling for more than 24 hours. Going to Oahu is a direct flight from Anchorage.

I will look into the flights you mentioned, though. We will be coming late October, early November and staying for a week.

Kris

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Daisy . . . I have found I can usually save hundreds by flying into Oahu, and then I just do the hop to Kauai on Hawaiian, which is a short flight. Flights are only about $75 each way when you book early. There aren't many (if any) direct flights to Kauai from Alaska, so that is why it takes longer/more $$. I plan these all the time for me and my friends. Have you checked that out?

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

I just texted my daughter that we might have a way to make Kauai work!! Thank so much for the advice. I really wanted to get away from traffic and having to drive everywhere (I live right in the city of Denver). It's great to know we have options.

Thanks so much!

Kris

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Oh good . . . I just spent some time yesterday helping another Alaskan friend figure out that they didn't have to take Alaska airlines thru Seattle or Portland - there are many direct flights from Anchorage to Honolulu, but you do have to pick the right dates. The good thing about Alaska airlines is you can view fares on their sight using their monthly calendar, which shows the cheapest days to fly.

You probably have the option of directs to Kauai from Denver, so perhaps only your daughter will have to do the hop. Hawaiian fares are very reasonable, especially if you book in advance.

By the way, for Alaskans, there are usually deals in late summer for fall flights to Hawaii, so for her, prices will probably drop - but right now, the cheapest days to fly from AK to Oahu are Oct 23, 27, 28 or 30 and to return to Ak the cheapest days are Nov 3-6 and then Nov 10-13. Happy planning! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,594 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Based on what you have said, connecting flights from Oahu to Kauai is the way to go. You only add maybe 2 hours or so to travel time, if that and you'll be much happier in the end.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,594 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Oh, and the Hawaiian Princess would not be a good area in my opinion for two women. The restaurants of Makaha are not walking distance really and given how far out it is, you can probably be in a condo in Kauai in the same time frame.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

Thank you so much! You have all made my day :)

Kris

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please point me in the right direction!!!

We often fly into HNL, stay within airport security, and take Hawaiian Airlines to Maui. (Your DD will go on to Kauai.) This is also an option for you, coming from Denver. We look for one long leg on a widebody 767 or 330 and avoid west coast connections, with their cramped 757's.

Put any interisland flight on the same ticket as the flight from the mainland. This should prevent luggage problems -- having to claim and re-check at HNL -- and if there are any flight schedule changes, you won't incur ticket-change fees. Check luggage through to final destination, coming and going.

Or...unless you are coming in winter, you could stay on Oahu, but on the north shore. There are condos around the Turtle Bay resort.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 02:03