We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Early for Hanauma Bay

Seattle...
Level Contributor
246 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How Early for Hanauma Bay

Going in February...what time would you plan on arriving at Hanauma Bay to ensure we can get in? I saw they open at 6:00 am. Do we need to get there that early?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

Early is good. My sister arrived at 9:30 am this past Monday and the lot was already full. We went a couple Aprils ago and arrive around 8:30 and were at the back of the lot. The early worm gets the best parking. And you will go through a 1/2 hour presentation about the Bay prior to being able to access the beach front. It is a pretty cool presentation BUT anyone who has visited within (I think) a year can bypass the presentation and access the bay first.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 21:28
Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

Before 9am or after 1pm would give you a decent shot of making it into the parking lot.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

The gates open at 6:00am but you don't need to be there quite that early. If you do get there before 7:00am you can get in free and skip the movie. Best bet is get there no later than 8:00am. I am a big proponent of the movie because it explains reef etiquette. There is a short video under Reef Etiquette, Cute video on the right hand side of this page in the Top Questions section.

If you sign a log after entering then yes, for a year you can skip the movie. No signing, no skipping the movie!!

Seattle...
Level Contributor
246 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

Thanks! Taking three teens and telling them we need to be somewhere at 6:00 am on vacation is bound to be met with grumbles. We'll aim to be there by 8:00.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

the time difference might make it a little easier to get those teens up....

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

If they really really won't get up...you could do your day in reverse and do hanauma bay at the end.

That's what we did the day we went, lot was full in the morning but was plenty of parking when we went back in the afternoon = less people snorkeling (better weather, and conditions too, of course that was just the day we went)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,619 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

You should get there by 8:30am to ensure parking.

Or get there before 6:45am to pay the $1 parking fee but avoid the admission fee.

Or as Alexandria recommends, in the afternoon when there are less visitors & ample parking.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

Yes, it is easy to get into Hanauma Bay in the afternoon. But………….it's been my experience after hundreds of people have already been there the conditions (read visibility) are less than ideal.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
246 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

Thanks everyone!

I am worried about visibility in the afternoon. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Early for Hanauma Bay

When does the little transportation shuttle/trolley/I don't know what it is run? I hear some people like taking it back up. Also, are you allowed to bring water and snacks? Of course, we wouldn't be leaving anything behind.