We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OZ vs US clothing sizes

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
OZ vs US clothing sizes

Hi we are planning our first trip to Oahu in June from Sydney and just a tad excited just thinking about it. So as I love shopping I am just wondering how the womens Australian clothing sizes compares with the US clothing sizes. Also we are staying at the Outrigger Reef, will we need to hire a car or can we get away with public transport, we would like to include a trip to Sunset beach amongst other places. Cheers ....

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

You can google your size to get the conversion, here is an example from an online shopping site...I know mine off the top of my head (au 8, usually is us 4)

…asos.com/mt/…pgesizechart.aspx

Shoes sizes are the same...we use the same sizing.

As with here, it's best to try stuff on as different brands/styles can run different sizes.

I recommend renting a car if you want to see the rest of the island (eg sunset on the north shore).

Yes, you can get around Waikiki without a car...everything is walking distance.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

That is an excellent question ... and a new one!

About the car ... if you want to explore the Island outside of the City of Honolulu - you will need one. Reserve it in advance.

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

Lol blbl it probably doesn't get asked much because as you've probably gathered from the forums Australia gets ripped off in the fashion stakes on both cost and variety, hence a lot of Australians turn to online shopping and know the us conversions!

Plus some labels here display us, eur sizes aswell as the au/nz sizes (some like luluemon only dispay nth american size) Uk sizes are generally the same as ours.

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

JAF, I am a 10/12 here and about an 8 there. Once you are there you will figure it out very quickly. As usual, the labels will vary a bit. Over there I have also noticed 'womens' racks as averse to all the others. Those I have found contained the larger sizes. Once you find a label you like and figure out the size in person you'll be set to buy on line till you drop.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,343 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

Yes, "women's" sizes are the larger ones, and they're cut more generously. Armholes are larger. The average woman will wear "Misses'" - even numbers 0-18. Odd numbers are Junior sizes, cut for the smaller, slimmer figure. And Petites are cut shorter but I find they also tend to run smaller than Misses'.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 02:54
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

You really have to go and try them on! Heck, in US sizes, I wear jeans from 3 different companies in 3 different sizes! Just glad I am now at a place in my life where what size the label says doesn't send me into a tail-spin! Ha. Keep in mind many shops cater to the smaller sized women...had to buy my girls, who are size sm/med, extra larges in T's. Oh the joy of shopping!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

Thanks everyone, the advice is great. I have been checking some online US clothing sites and am tempted to buy before I go hence the sizing questions. I usually like to "touch" something before I buy but thought there is no time like the present to start the online experience. So, I am still a bit unsure about getting around Oahu, can I cover the whole island by public transport? I read somewhere that the public bus is great however not sure how far from Waikiki it goes, tried to look up "routes" on line but as I have never been there am not really sure of what I am looking for. Not sure how confident I would be driving on the other side of the road. Any and all advice is truly appreciated, Cheers

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

JAF, very hard to get around whole way on a bus. But, I think a new thread may be better than this on clothing.

There are also lots of previous threads on buses and getting around.

Back to clothing, you will probably find it cheaper there and bigger choice. I go over w' empty suitcase taking almost no clothes and then wash things out at the end of the day and hang in shower. Then, I fill up w' new things/shoes etc. Take a shopping list eg mine has swimmers at the top. There are almost always sales on at Ala Moana, and the Ward Center - both achievable on the bus. The outlet store requires a car or go on the dedicated outlet store coach which costs more.

Personally, I won't buy here till I've been there.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

Hi sweetiedarling1 ..... great advice thanks for that, you are right, I am just a bit excited and want to start the experience a bit early, LOL.

10. Re: OZ vs US clothing sizes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:19