We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

Read somewhere there is a new consolidated car rental facility at HNL. Can anyone verify that? If there isn't, looking for car rental companies that are close to the airport. Last time we rented from Alamo, and had a lot of trouble finding it when we were returning the car because it wasn't located where all the other companies were, and the signage was not good. Thanks!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

nope! Still separated.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

There are plans for a consolidated car rental facility. It was supposed to start construction in 2012 and finish in 2014. Now they are targeting to start second half of this year and complete in 2017. I'm not holding my breath...

I have used Hertz and Avis which are at the airport. According to the HNL website, there are others as well: hawaii.gov/hnl/…car-rentals

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

The website says Enterprise and Dollar are on airport, then on the list they are under off airport. It is confusing. I just want something easy to return, where all the rental cars are located, so we can just follow the signs. It was very stressful as we almost missed our flight because we couldn't find the Alamo car rental return!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

We picked up car yesterday from Hertz and it was right with Avis and I believe Enterprise. As an aside, worst rental experience in years of renting from Hertz. No signage at airport had to ask, then flag down crowded bus, as Gold member keys and contract were ready for us, but the car was filthy including garbage from who know how many renters before us. It is a 2013 Mustang with 20,000 miles on it but if you were told it had spent 5 years in a rental fleet of some Caribean island, not a couple of months at the Honolulu airport, you'd believe it! Time to find a car wash.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,254 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

Google Maps - HNL...you can see where all are located. We had Thrifty on Nimitz Hwy...very easy to find, especially coming from Pearl Harbor.

3Chihuahuas

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

Dollar is not at the airport but on Nimitz Highway. The facility itself was easy to find, but finding a gas station near there took a bit of driving around.

If you have your own GPS, or one available on your phone, take it with you.

7. Re: Car rental at HNL, is there a new consolidated facility?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:21