We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
153 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

Please chime in if you think this sounds good or if you have any feedback/suggestions. Thank you.

I fly in at 6:30pm Friday, February 14th and I leave at 11pm on Friday, February 21st. I have a rental car for the week, which I am picking up at or near the airport. I am staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

I am a bit more on the adventurous side but my Mom is more conservative; she mainly cares about relaxing, seeing the scenery, and beaches.

Friday Night Arrival: No plans other than getting situated.

Saturday: Open to explore Waikiki, perhaps find Leonard's Bakery.

Saturday Evening: Dinner at Duke's around sunset

Sunday: Open to tour the island/other beaches (thinking North Shore, Lanikai, Kailua, Ko Olina, am I missing any?). Want to find and hit up the shrimp trunk and Leonard's Bakery.

Monday: Waking up super early to get to the Pearl Harbor, to be one of the first in line. I am guessing we will spend the whole morning here. No plans after this.

Monday Evening: Massages back at hotel at 6pm

Tuesday: Lunch cruise to see the whales until about 2pm, no other plans.

Tuesday Evening: No plans

Wednesday: No plans

Wednesday Evening: Dinner by PCC, 7:30pm show at PCC

Thursday: No plans

Friday: No plans (we check out of our hotel at noon but have the car to use all day until we get to the airport at 8:30 or so).

Some things I did not fit in that could be random...shopping, restaurants (I want to try Helena's, hit up Cheesecake Factory, Original Pancake House, Sevenbrothers Burgers, Hank's Haute Dogs, somewhere for shave ice), maybe watch a movie if the weather isn't up to par, Round Top Drive, hike up Diamond Head if my Mom is feeling up for it, and maybe go on a Catamaran.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

Note that Helena's is only open Tue-Fri 10 am - 7:30 pm and closes for school holidays.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

A lot of free time, my kind of vacation. Be aware on Friday your arrival day you will experience the fireworks at HHV. So if you were looking to turn in early, it will be noisy :). Also I would pass on the cheesecake factory, its no different than the one in Edina.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

A lot of free time, my kind of vacation. Be aware on Friday your arrival day you will experience the fireworks at HHV. So if you were looking to turn in early, it will be noisy :). Also I would pass on the cheesecake factory, its no different than the one in Edina.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

On Saturday morning, since you are likely to be awake very early, I'd head to the Farmer's Market at KCC (7:30AM - 11AM). You could stop at Leonard's Bakery on the way.

…hawaii.edu/object/farmersmarket.html

I would be sure to visit the House Without a Key and Banyan Courtyard for cocktails.

I too would skip TCF as it is identical to the one in Edina and not special to begin with. There are so many spot that are unique to the area that it would be a real waste.

Can you flip flop Monday and Tuesday? That way after Pearl Harbor you could stop by Helena's Hawaiian Food and then continue you on to Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific. See the map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/oVp5T

I would also take an outrigger canoe ride (over a catamaran ride) from these guys, Aloha Beach Services.

alohabeachservices.com/Aloha_Beach_Services/…

They are right in front of the Moana Hotel so you could pop into the Banyan Court after for lunch or cocktails.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

If you plan to eat at Dukes on a Saturday night, you should make reservations or be prepared for a really long wait. Ask for a seat on the rail.

If you want something a little less noisy than Dukes, we like the Chuck's Steakhouse right upstairs from Dukes. The food is good, service is great and the view is spectacular.

I think a catamaran sail is a great idea, and I recommend a sunset sail. We like to go on the NaHokuII which leaves about 5 or 5:30 from the beach right in front of the Moana. Here is their website to give you an idea.

http://nahokuii.com/

Other than that, I like the idea of lots of free time to just go where you want to go and do what you want to do. Once you get there, you will find so many things that interest you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
153 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

I have reservations for the massages at 6, so I was hoping to be done for the day outside of the hotel by 5pm. Do you think I could do Pearl Harbor, then another great place to eat (anything between there and the drive)?, then the Punchbowl (is that the end of Round Top Drive)? If I get on the earliest boat for Pearl Harbor I can't imagine it lasting more than a few hours.

I LOVE all kinds of food, but my Mom is really picky. Are there some super awesome yummy spots that would cater to a picky eater as well as a foodie? (picky like...no vegetables, no sauces, no cheese, plain hamburgers and chicken and simple foods). That's why I put CF on the list (we both like it up here in MN). I love Asian food too, are there any Asian to go (not sushi but Korean/Thai/Vietnamese etc.)?

I did make reservations for Duke's. Saw that suggestion on another thread. :o)

Also, I was hoping to actually get in and settled for the fireworks at HHV. If my flight arrives at 6:30, I hope to get my bags and my rental and head over there just in time. I heard they start pretty early. Anyone know the details on this?

Catamaran Sunset sail - this is a fun for all ages sort of activity right? I will also look into the outrigger canoe.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I appreciate it.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

Also Hula Grill upstairs right next to Chucks.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

The fireworks starts at approximately 7:45. It is typically quite short (less than 5 minutes), but since it would be Valentine's Day, maybe it would be longer?

Punchbowl (National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) is not on Road Top Drive. They are in the general vicinity of each other.

Plug in National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific and Puu Ualakaa State Park for directions on Google Maps to see the drive between those 2 landmarks.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

For beachs, don't forget Waimanlo Beach Park on the West side. I think it is the most beautiful beach on Oahu and one of the most beutiful in Hawaii.

You mention Leonar's bakery on your North Shore day. Check out Ted's on the North Shore near Sunset Beach for great pies in Hawaiian flavors. They also have hot foods inlcuing burgers which I am sure you can get plain for your mom.

You mention that your mom is a picky eater but also mention Korean food. Is she up to eating in a Korean restaurnat or is this just take out for you? We the Willow Tree restaurant in Kailua for Korean food if you are looking for an eat in option on the West side.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Potential Itinerary...Thoughts?

Me BBQ is pretty good Korean BBQ take out, Yummy isn't as good, but closer, and also with Yummy in the Royal Hawaiian Center are some other decent take out places.