We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August itinerary advice for honeymoon

Montreal
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
August itinerary advice for honeymoon

Hey guys, hoping to get some feedback and recommendations on our itinerary:

We're planning a trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon in August. Plan so far is 4-5 nights at Turtle Bay Resort followed by 4-5 nights at the Hotel Renew in Waikiki. We were hoping to get a list of must do's on Oahu and some recommendations for a Luau. I'm a big sailor as well so a sailing cruise could be nice or even a place where we could borrow a hobie or other small dinghie for a couple hours. Snorkeling and hikes are also to do's for us. Lastly, would it be worth it travel to Maui or Kauai for a night or two?

Thanks a lot!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August itinerary advice for honeymoon

I probably would not split going to a neighbor island unless you were going for 4-5 nights on that island. Other than that I am not sure it is worth it.

I am curious how you decided on the Hotel Renew? It isn't a hotel I'd consider for a honeymoon for lots of reasons. There are probably better choices for the same money.

Here is a topic on another forum about renting cats.

forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php…

There are some good catamaran sail/snorkel tours, both from the greater Waikiki area and the North Shore as well. Here are two examples, but there are many more out there.

http://www.sailingcat.com/

www.waikikibeachsailing.com/sailingtours.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August itinerary advice for honeymoon

"Must do's" are very subjective and personal. For a list of "Things to do" look at the top of this page on the top green bar is a menu, click on "Things do do"!! This is good to find things you are interested in. After that, come back if you have any questions.

With 10 or more nights, you could easily go to another island. Just depends on time and budget. Worth consideration, splitting evenly.

3. Re: August itinerary advice for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 15:47
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August itinerary advice for honeymoon

Hi, Dog ...

Here's are my notes will some additions.

You don't want Hotel Renew ... and after Turtle Bay ... oh, boy, will you be disappointed.

You should start reading down through the Oahu Forum, as there are very current discussions about luau. Also - you need to pick up a good travel guidebook and map for Oahu. Start a draft itinerary and post it for us ... and we'll help you fill it in and comment. "Must-do's" for you ... and "must-do's" for me may be very different.

You will need a car for Turtle Bay.

Put a sunset catamaran sail on your list for the Waikiki part of your trip.

+++ How many nights do you actually have? Your initial idea of splitting resorts on Oahu is a good one, if you want to focus on both Honolulu and enjoy the more rural North and Windward Shores. That way, you won't be driving back and forth to Honolulu so much.

But - if you DO have 10 nights or more - you may want to see two Islands ... splitting the nights between one resort on Oahu and one resort on another Island.

But if you are sticking with your first idea of 2 locations on Oahu ... don't try to make a short trip to Kauai or Maui. Why? 1) you won't see much in such a short time 2) you won't get much bang for your buck 3) the flights/cars will cost 'ya 4) it's HIGH tourist season. You'll lose at least 1/2 day or more with each Island transition.

Again - one location on Oahu and another Island - fine with at least 10 nights. Splitting Oahu AND trying to see another Island ... not good.

5. Re: August itinerary advice for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18