We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Cage Dive Tour

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shark Cage Dive Tour

Need recommendation for this type of tour and is there one that offer using regulators (instead of snorkels - I am an open water certified diver).

TIA =)

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

I see you are new to the Hawaii forums................and wouldn't know it, but you have posted about a hot button topic here. You might want to plug "shark tours" into the search box and read thru some of the threads that will come up.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy Hawaii!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

I've never heard of a shark cage tour in HI using regulators, but if you contact the people below you might be able to work something out with them, but you'd have to have your own tank. The cages are pretty small. I doubt you'd get more than two guys at a time in the cage with tanks. I've really never heard of anyone who does it with regulators that go back to the boat in hoses in HI.

http://www.sharktourshawaii.com/

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

Aloha,

If you spend a lot of time in the water , this might seem kind of dumb to you.

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

I hate that these tours chum for sharks!

Kona
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

Absolutely, Dusty, and yes, swmarkwt is correct that this is a very contentious issue, for a number of reasons.

I know it's been discussed widely in this forum in the past, but it always bears repeating.

Chumming for sharks is not only illegal within the 3-mile coastal zone, it has a lot of potential unintended side effects. These operators say that they don't "have to" chum, but that they do it "for the tourists." They have been videotaped chumming by federal officers posing as tourists and informally "busted" by their own clients who were horrified to see the chumming happening. As of yet, though, there has been no success in shutting them down.

Many community members believe the shark tour companies have altered the marine environment on the North Shore due to the illegal shark feeding. Ocean ecosystem observers say that reef and sandbar sharks have been replaced by bigger sharks like tiger and Galapagos sharks.

Then there's the significant increase in shark attacks (some fatal) throughout Hawaii last year - which, although it's not been scientifically linked to the increase in shark chumming for tourism activities, surely should give any intelligent person pause.

For Kanaka Maoli (Native Hawaiians), chumming for sharks for commercial purposes is considered highly disrespectful, as ka mano (the shark) is an aumakua, an ancestral/family god.

For all these reasons, you might want to stop and consider whether that momentarily thrill is really worth it.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

WOW … I absolutely had no idea this was a hot topic. You learn something new everyday…thank you all for the heads up on this. Will give some serious thought into everyone's opinion….btw they do use hookah regulators into the masks for some shark cage dive tours in Catalina Island and Florida…I just wasn't sure if there were any offered in Honolulu….again thank you. =)

7. Re: Shark Cage Dive Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20