We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

I read that they had to close Hanauma Bay a couple weeks ago due to too many jellyfish and about 30 people getting stung. Is that all cleared up now? I can't find anything on the websites.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

This is a phenomenon that hits Oahu every month. 7-10 days after a full moon!! It usually lasts for a few days then is over. Sometimes it is so bad they do close the bay. Sometimes there are none, you just never know. South and east shore are usually the only place this happens.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

This is a jellyfish calendar, but for 2013. They have not updated (or at least I can't find it) it for 2014.

http://www.808jellyfish.com/

I did find this event calendar which shows February 23, 24 & 25. You can change the month for when you will be there.

http://lookintohawaii.com/calendar.aspx

I also note that this calendar has some of the smaller surf meets that others have been asking about.

There is one at Sunset Beach right now. Sunset Beach Pro Surfing Event.

Next weekend is the 38th annual Buffalo's Big Board Surfing Classic at Makaha.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 15:13
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

This site has a 2014 jellyfish calendar:

http://808ocean.com/index.html

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

Our fall vacation fell right on the time that jellyfish could be a problem, so we planned our beach time at Waikiki and Hanauma Bay on our first 2 days there just in case. I noticed throughout our stay that jellyfish must not have been an issue that month because there were plenty of people on the beaches. So we lucked out, but it does make it difficult to get your beach time in when it could potentially be an issue.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

Because the jellyfish problem is mostly on the south shore beaches of Oahu, all one needs to do is be flexible.

Go to any of the other great beaches on Oahu.

Or just do something else on those days if there are jellyfish warnings.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

I wouldn't assume that there is no jellyfish influx just because there are plenty of people on the beach. I've seen visitors walk right past the jellyfish warning sign and go straight into the water. There will always be people that think it will be someone else getting stung.

But like Dusty said - there are plenty of other beaches to visit that are not affected by the jellyfish.

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

I guess I should have added....there were no signs on any beaches, and Hanauma had not been closed when we went. We went to Hanauma a day before so it wasn't an issue, but we were at Waikiki, and on that particular month it seemed to be unaffected as no signs or warnings were ever placed.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

They don't always close Hanauma Bay when the box jelly fish show up. It just depends on how large of an influx there is.

9. Re: Jellyfish problem at Hanauma Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:18