We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

NZ
Level Contributor
575 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

We're thinking of visiting later in the year from New Zealand - will be either June or late September/early October, 2 adults and 3 children (two of them teens). I've only just started doing some research but have always found these forums helpful, but I'm sorry if I'm covering ground that has already been covered. As we will only have 9 or 10 nights I was wondering whether we should visit another island, say Maui, or just concentrate on having a good look around Oahu. We could either stay in one place (probably a condo in Waikiki) or split our time and stay somewhere else on Oahu for a few nights - but where? Would love to hear recommendations. If we went to Maui it would be for the beach and relaxation, but perhaps we can get that on Oahu anyway. We will definitely be hiring a car.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

9-10 days in Oahu is way too long. We have been many times to both islands. In our experience we like 3 nights in Waikiki and 7 nights in Maui.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

I think you can easily find enough to keep you occupied on O`ahu for your entire time. I'd stay part of the time in Honolulu. Lots of things to do and see there. And I'd stay part of the time on either the north or east side for a change from city life.

NZ
Level Contributor
575 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

I haven't been in over 30 years and the kids have never been. I don't think 3 days would be enough for them. Is Waikiki part of Honolulu or totally different places? And are either the north or east side better than the other? I do love the idea of Maui too but is it different enough to make it worth while travelling there?

Edited: 11 February 2014, 06:45
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

Waikiki is a district in Honolulu and where most of the visitor accommodations are.

I'm assuming you will be flying home from HNL.By the time you get over to Maui and come back for your flight home you're only going to have a few days on Maui. Each interisland leg will eat up about 4 hours and may not be conveniently timed. Cost will be about $80 on up per person. You would need to rent a car on Maui. You can manage with public transport in the city of Honolulu but should have a car if you split your stay with another location.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,597 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

That's not "too long" on Oahu, there is plenty to keep you occupied there for 9-10 days, and with the time change and flight time, I think you'd be happier just staying put.

I've always wondered though....what is it about Hawaii that draws you from NZ? You're so much closer to French Polynesia, Fiji, and AUS.

Virginia
Level Contributor
676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

I agree that you can find plenty to do in Oahu for that many days. Our trip was 5 or 6 nights, and I would have loved to have a couple extra days just to hang out near our beach at Waikiki. Though we did have some beach time, we spent a lot of time seeing and doing things so that is where the extra days can come in handy on Oahu--gives you relaxation time and time to go explore.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

I totally agree with Herky5 and Shea and since you are coming so far and will have to deal with jet lag and are traveling with 5 people, I think staying put on Oahu would be so much easier and you could explore a little more than most visitors get to see as well as have some relaxation/ beach time built in.

Also, it will save you a good bit of money to stay on Oahu, which you can use for other fun activities or just savings. 5 tickets round trip from Oahu to Maui will cost a pretty penny and you wouldn't even have time to see/ do a lot on Maui, or at least you'd be a little hurried on your second island. Also with 5 people you are almost certainly going to need a condo rental, which can have minimum night stays, and you may get a better deal if you stay for a full week or longer. If you had to stay at a hotel you would most likely need two hotel rooms.

I only stayed for 5 nights on Oahu and there were certainly lots of things I didn't get to see/ do there that would've been fun. Also I would've loved to have had more time to go back to my favorite beaches and spend the day there, or to explore new beaches.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

9 nights I would split 4 and 5. 8 nights, stay on Oahu.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,087 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

I think you are right on the line and can go either way on one or two islands.

I think you have enough time (barely) but you will incur quite a bit of additional expense to change islands.

Are your kids more into shopping, people, activities, etc. or would they be happy in a more isolated type of situration? And what about you, which do you prefer.

There is plenty to do on Oahu to keep you busy and our favorite beach by far in Hawaii is Waikiki. When our girls were teens, they went to other islands but Waikiki was by far their favorite.....can you say, shopping ? They frequently met teens from other places and ended up with a group of new friends while we were there and they all had a ball.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay on Oahu, or travel to another Island as well?

You could spend a month on Oahu and not run out of things to do. And if you want to, you could split your stay on Oahu - part on Waikiki and perhaps part at Turtle Bay or a condo/vacation rental on the North Shore or Windward side. The money you save by not flying 5 people back and forth to Maui could upgrade your accomodations ... or find other uses. :o)

BTW - June is HIGH season and September/October are LOW season. You would get more for your money in our fall (Sept/Oct).

All that being said - if you have 10 nights, not harm in splitting your nights in half. The two Islands are very different. It's all up to you. But I sense that you need to pick up a current travel guidebook for each and a map. Refresh your memory.