We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Topic
5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

Ok..I will apologize in advance because this question may be answered a thousand times but I still get confused.

At the end of a 11 hour flight from NY in Mid-may we plan to stay in Oahu about 4-5 days..(husband and I with 2 kids) we are going to Kauai for 10 days later and rather splurge on nice condo there..

We are looking for a moderate place to stay in Oahu ($250 and under) -- should we just stay in Waikiki area ? If so, is there any particular area in that area that is more convenient--like less hike to beach to catch city bus to areas in the city like chinatown, acquarium, etc? We would probably relax 2 days before venturing out to the rest of island for the next 2-3 days. Should we just rent a car for those 2-3 days.

I read forum that some people suggest renting the full time..but gees those daily parking rates of $25-$35 just to park the car overnight...isn't cheap..Its $50 to get taxi from airport to hotel in honolulu/waikiki area--but if we rent car isnt i more expensive if we need to park it overnight esp for two to three days when we don't plan to use it..

But I don't know how flexible car companies are to "deliver" rental car to hotel locations?

Also, it seems I need to get 2 rooms in downtown honolulu or waikiki inorder to have any place with more than "2" beds (we plan to rent 2 bedroom condos with at least 3 beds in kauai)--they don't exist in the resort areas of honolulu/waikiki, right?

Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,858 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

1001, 1002, 1003 ... just kidding!

Always count your nights, not your days.

The vast, vast majority of accommodations are on Waikiki. For first-timers (and for your budget) Waikiki is your best bet. I recommend that you consider the Waikiki Parc. Great location. NO resort fee. You may get free parking in the deal as well.

I would rent car for the full time at the airport, as weekly rentals are generally cheaper than daily. Do the math - considering taxis, etc.

Anyway, it is easy to rent a car on Waikiki - if you reserve it in advance. You can walk over and pick it up.

You can get roll-in beds as well. Two beds are standard.

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

Roll in beds? I never heard of such? I guess I should call the hotels and ask them for charge for them? probably less than taking on two connecting rooms..

it would be 4 nights...(taht's why i said 4-5 days)..that should be sufficient for Oahu right since we are going to Kauai there would be beaches and waterfalls and scenery there (different activities)..

thanks.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

I think you should focus on Waikiki, too, just because it's easier for a few days. Take a look at Aston Waikiki Beach hotel. It's at the Diamond Head side of Waikiki, near the zoo and aquarium, across from a nice walled-off portion of ocean (great for little children) as well as a nice beach with a park behind it. It is just across the street to the beach, so all you need to do is wait for a light to change outside the hotel, cross, and you are on the beach in 30 paces. To save $, choose a mountain or city view rather than ocean view room (although those ocean front rooms at that hotel are excellent!). There are many, many hotels you can choose, but I did stay here and the property is convenient to many things your children will love without hoofing around too much. Please read recent reviews, as I stayed there a couple of years ago.

Here's a map showing locations of the hotels:

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

If you plan to rent a car, you can park it two blocks from this hotel at the Waikiki Banyan (you can look at that property, too, it has kitchens which are always convenient), at, I believe, $18.00 per day. My husband would drop me and the kids off at our hotel, we'd take our gear out of the trunk, he'd drive to the parking lot and walk back. Next day, we'd all walk to the lot for the car.

Some hotels do provide roll-away beds, but some may charge a daily fee.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

In Mid-May you should have no problem finding private lodging on Waikiki on sites like VRBO. Many times parking is included.

Rent a car the entire time. By the time you pay for airport transportation and car rental for a couple days, you could have rented a car the entire time.

Aston Waikiki Banyan has an $18 resort fee & $15 parking fee. You do not have to stay at that hotel/condo to park there for $15.

You can find private condos at Aston Waikiki Banyan and other condotels (condos that operate like hotels) that may include parking & have no fees on VRBO.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

There is one for parking fees & resort fees. Sometimes the hotel/resort will have both.

Included on the page are three less expensive parking alternatives.

You can also park at the Honolulu Zoo lot for $1/hour.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…waikiki

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

Your two kids are small so you should not have to have two hotel rooms you can usually get a room with two double beds unless you want a condo. If you want a condo look at the Waikiki Banyan or Waikiki sunset both of these you can book thru Aston or VRBO also have heard good things about Koko Resorts for renting at Waikiki Banyan.

Both of these have cheaper parking rates $20 or under a night and if you book thru another avenue than Aston the rate can include parking.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

This company is decent. They have a lot of good deals on their condos. I just looked at one in Waikiki Banyan & it did include parking.

captaincookresorts.com/honolulu-vacation-ren…

You have to read the info for each unit. Then click on amenities.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

Notes about condos in Hawaii, especially on Oahu as there are many.

Waikiki Banyan is the same property as Aston Waikiki Banyan.

It is up to the individual owner to either live in their unit, live in it part time & "rent it out part time or "rent it out" all the time.

Owners can sign with a major company like Aston, Aqua, Outrigger, etc.

Or they can use a smaller management company like Captain Cook.

Or they can rent it out themselves.

Amenities, housekeeping, etc., are different. The reservation desk is usually only for the major management company.

So you can find units at Waikiki Banyan, for example, several different ways.

There are many properties in Waikiki that are similar.

8. Re: 5 days Oahu: moderate places to stay and rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:20