We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs to take back to Australia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Souvenirs to take back to Australia

We will be in Waikiki for 7 nights later this year and would like to buy some souvenirs. I have heard that food items and wood carvings or other wooden items make good souvenirs. The Aussie quarantine laws are strict regarding food and wood so I would like to avoid the hassle of having to open up my luggage and declare such items after a long flight that arrives in the evening. What other (non food and wooden )items would be nice to bring back? Thanks

Bendigo
Level Contributor
900 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

It is always good not to have to declare when you return and to be able follow the green line!! Who are you bringing souveniers for - age???

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

We always tend to have food and wood items (for some reason we seem to bring back a ukelele each trip). I make sure they are in the top of a bag, declare them and have found every time they ask what the items are, once I describe them they wave us through every time. Never have had to show them yet - in 13 visits.

We tend to bring back macadamia nuts (coffee glazed yummo!) as gifts to parents and little nik nak items just from ABC shops for the kids' friends.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

If you put the word souvenirs in the search box on the Oahu Forum ... you will find bundles of threads with great ideas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

Thanks for the replies. Just looking for gifts for adults.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

We had some leis made out nuts taken off us at customs and also cannot bring beef jerky. The Honolulu cookie co. Cookies are nice gifts. There's also lots of nice body butters, fragrance sprays send candles in Hawaiian scents.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

If you go to Pearl Harbor they have a very nice gift shop.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

We have always previously had to tick yes to food on the incoming card as we had sweets, nuts & popcorn, coffee . Noticed last year the wording changed slightly so we didn't have to declare yes. We will still pack all our goodies in one spot just in case tho.

Coffee is ok as long as it's not raw i.e green ordinary ground or ordinary beans are ok. Nuts, popcorn, packets of dry fruit like Dole mango & pineapple slices have got through. Leis made of pods/nuts ( you will see them a lot. Men have black ones, the ladies ones are decorated) are allowed IF you pay some extortionate fee to have them "zapped" . It's not worth it. They cost $8? To buy & at least twice that to zap them for possible bugs. Can't remember if he wanted $20 or $30 They also don't like the shell leis u get often as u arrive at some hotels.

Wood is ok usually if purchased from a store- I've brought in a few wood bowls over time. Again the are looking for beasties that may be in the wood..

It's not too bad & your general souvenirs will get thru fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

Great information Caroline-just what I was looking for! Thanks.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
900 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

We have had pod leis confiscated. Also pack wood and food items top of suitcase or in hand luggage and have had to open suitcases on two occasions. We have key rings, the cute souveniers from ABC and really try to have other than food and wood.

10. Re: Souvenirs to take back to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21