We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick question -- best time to fly out of honolulu

new jersey
Level Contributor
491 posts
Save Topic
quick question -- best time to fly out of honolulu

I have a quick question while I am trying to finalize my Hawaii trip--

From Waikiki to aiport -- rush hour is 6:30 to 8:30 am.

So if we pick a flight that leaves 11 am -- we should grab taxi or drive by around 8ish -- so we avoid traffic? If its just me and husband sitting in "traffic" annoying as it is is "okay" but with a 2 and 4 year old it gets tough -- so just wondering if my assumption is okay..

I thought if we took earlier flights we can be stuck in traffic..(I read something about the H1 highway being congested).

Also if we stay in Waikiki area and rent car we should drive out after rush hour so around 9 am?

Thanks.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quick question -- best time to fly out of honolulu

Aloha,

Allow time to return the rental car, which I hope you wll get so that you can see more of Oahu.

It is impossible to guarantee a time when there will definitely be no traffic issues.

If you don't want to be on the road till after 8:30, you wouldn't want to leave at 8:00.

Enjoy your time on Oahu.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick question -- best time to fly out of honolulu

Like jet say's it's impossible to tell you when the traffic will be heavy but in all reality, the bulk of it will be headed in the opposite direction. All those who live in central and west Oahu will be coming into town for work and school. The traffic shouldn't be anywhere near as heavy going TO the airport from Waikiki.

3. Re: quick question -- best time to fly out of honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:28