We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Tour #2

ny
Level Contributor
699 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Tour #2

Just wondering if we should wear bathing suits when we take Driving Tour #2 (listed in the top questions). Thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Tour #2

Do you plan on getting in the water ?

ny
Level Contributor
699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Tour #2

Not sure if the beaches along the north shore would be safe for us to wade in or swim in - that's the issue.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Tour #2

When are you going?

Time of year can determine the surf levels. But I think there are certainly places that are safe to wade in year around.

If you think you might want to go in, then i would either wear them or take them with you. That way, if the opportunity arises you are all set . Bathing suits don't take up much room.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 17:52
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Tour #2

If you are going to stop at Kailua or Lanikai beaches, then yes, I would take a bathing suit. For the north shore beaches, like placebets said, it all depends on what time of year you are coming. Late spring probably will be a day by day thing as far as surf heights go. By summer, no problems, it's flat as a pancake out there!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,468 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Tour #2

I always keep the bathing suits, towels, snorkel gear, and a cooler of beverages whenever we set out for the day. You never know!

ny
Level Contributor
699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Tour #2

We will be there in about a month from now. Hoping to see some surf. So I guess if it's not too big, it's ok to go in? I just remember reading about Heidi Klum or her kids getting caught in the surf there.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Tour #2

My daughter and I usually wear our bathing suits just in case we decide to stop to get in the water or just sun bathe. The boys are easier to change into if at the last minute they decide as well.

We also like to carry a cooler with drinks and snacks in case we stay out longer.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Tour #2

In a month from now it's still going to be iffy as far as surf heights go. You won't have any problems except for the north shore and west side. The surf yesterday was up to 25 feet. Way too big for most people. When it gets down to under 5 feet and if you are a very good swimmer then you should be fine. If not, the saying goes: "when in doubt, don't go out".

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Tour #2

Kuilima Cove at Turtle Bay Resort is calm as it is sheltered.

Kualoa Regional Park (Chinaman's Hat) is usually OK.

Kahana Bay is somewhat sheltered.

10. Re: Driving Tour #2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:18