We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Willies

Melbourne
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Coconut Willies

We were staying in Waikiki 5 years ago and we used to go to Coconut Willies in the International Market place most nights to listen and dance to the music. I heard it had closed, but reopened in a new location. Does anyone know where the new location is and if it will be open in April?

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,442 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconut Willies

It did open in a new location in the Waikiki Beach Walk area but that location closed as well.

Last i saw they were going to open again last year in the old location of the Hard Rock Cafe. I assume they did.

Here is a link to an article on that opening.

bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2013/04/coconut…

We did go to the one in Beach Walk and it was just not the same. Not saying it was bad, just not the same as the one in the International Marketplace.

Hope this helps.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coconut Willies

Coconut Willie's! Really great place with greater memories when it was at the IMP. Chuck.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coconut Willies

It did move into the old Hard Rock location. On the corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani. It was really hopping last weekend when Brother Nolan was playing. Didn't go but drove by it!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coconut Willies

Thanks for your helpful replies. Yes -we really enjoyed it back in 2009 and went there most nights. Which is why I have asked again. If Coconut Willie's is not open anymore-does any one know where there is a similar type venue. A bar with a dance floor and ggod music (my definition of good music-not too loud thumping, doof doof type) Just plays all the good 50s, 60s, 70s stuff that you can rock and roll to. Showing my age -ha! ha!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coconut Willies

Did you read my post above yours? It's open just in a different location.

6. Re: Coconut Willies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 04:31
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coconut Willies

"...loud thumping, doof doof.." Ha ha! Great description!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coconut Willies

We saw the Piranha Brothers at Moose McGillycuddy's Pub in Waikiki. Fantastic sound, atmostphere and amazing talent. We met and chatted with them before they started playing, top guys. They even sang to us

"Down Under" by Men at Work. I wasn't feeling nostalgic for home til then. There were a few on the dancefloor, we just enjoyed the meal, music and general vibe of the place.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coconut Willies

Where the old Hard Rock was located was Coconut Willies for a bit, but it closed (again) and The Crown is now there. The place seems dead no matter what they put there recently..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coconut Willies

Thanks fishdiva for your advice (and to everyone else) I think you must have posted at the same time as I was typing my post. We might at some stage have a look at this location and see what's there. We are in Waikiki for 4 days from the 8th April- (Tuesday-Saturday morning), then the following Saturday night. Rumour has it we have to see fireworks Friday night!