We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to Buig Island

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour to Buig Island

Has anyone been on a day tour to the BI from Oahu? Package I'm looking at is for $400, includes rt airfare to BI, hotel pick up\drop off(5am), and tour?

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

Which airline do they use? That would make a big difference to me.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 01:57
Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

Hmmm, not sure didn't look into that to be honest.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

AlandRoberta is right! Last I heard, Roberts Hawaii tours uses Hawaiian Airlines. Discover Hawaii Tours uses (gulp!) Go! Airlines. This means that you want Roberts Hawaii tours if you want to actually GET to the Big Island.

Mom - also price-out what it would cost to do this on your own. Fly to Hilo in the early morning (reserved), rent a car (reserved) and driving to Volcanoes National Park on your own. Perhaps see some other sights before flying home. You'd need to do your homework, but you would have MUCH more flexibility.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

We flew on Go! A couple of years ago with no problem, thank God.... I'm sure flying and driving on our own would save us a few dollars but didn't want us to drive, looking to go with a tour so my bf could relax and enjoy. He drives around enough for work and he'll be driving while in Oahu. Something I just thought would be fun to do but not quite sure if it'll be a good idea. Thanx for ur input.

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

We did this a few years ago and booked direct w' HA, booked a car via Alamo and accommodation based on reviews on TA. Easy peasy. Go to the Hilo market, walk around the interesting parts of the small old town, visit the Tsunami museum, have a look at a black volcanic sand beach and visit the volcano. None of it was very far away and the drive up the east coast was lovely going off the main road going to the coast as much as possible to see where the tsunami took away the school.

All achievable in say 2 days / 1 night would other agree, my memory is a little hazy?

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

Mom, as a general comment, I would not spend a lot of time looking for "great deals" on Oahu on Groupon. In my experience, the offerings are either low quality or the "deal" can easily be matched, or bettered, once you get on island.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

I canʻt see the point of the tour, honestly. A high quality tour would cost more than that, so it is probably just one of those bus tours with the cheesy narration herding you around.

Do not be afraid to self tour. My main concern though would be the inter-island fares go up as seats sell out, so flying last minute decision can be expensive. However if you book way in advance you are at the mercy of the weather, which could suck.

One thing I can tell you is you will not "get" the Big Island picture on a day tour, only a bit of a feel of one area. The Big Island has so much variety and is so vast. And donʻt come looking for lava on a day tour, because chances are slim.

If you have so much time on Oahu that you see it all and have time left over, then sure, why not?

If you are scouting for a possible next time, again, not a bad idea.

Certainly it is quite different from Oahu. I just love Hilo, but not everyone sees the charm as I do.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

What is it you want to see? Many people want to go to the Big Island to see the volcano "erupt" and that is not real spectacular right now. I think unless you go at night, you won't even see the "glow."

It would not be worth it for a day trip to me.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

We've been to Oahu approx 7 times. So this trip is more of a relaxing and go visit some of our favorite spots. So I thought maybe a day trip to the BI would be a good idea.

Thanx everyone for ur comments!

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour to Buig Island

I did the day trip with Roberts in 2012.

Loved it so much that when we head back to HI in June we're spending 3 days on the BI first!

So for us it was a great idea. Massively long day though.