We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks for the help!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks for the help!

I want to thank all of you who helped answer questions for me, while I was helping my brother and his girlfriend with their trip to Hawaii. They are right now about to land in Atlanta! Then they go ATL to HNL. They started out in Lansing, Mich. then to Detroit.

For you flight/seat geeks, do you know what approach they will make into HNL? They are on an Airbus 330-300. I am wondering what their view will be on approach. They have seats on the rt. side of the plane, not over a wing.

FYI. I arranged with Honolulu Cookie Co. for them to pick up a cookie treat from me. They will pick up at H. Cookie Co. inside the Waikiki Marriott tomorrow. No shipping charge. I did this with the customer service number at the website. Just thought I'd share this in case anyone would like to do this for family or friends traveling to Hawaii.

Thanks again!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks for the help!

The final determinant is which way the wind is blowing, but in about 99.9% of the time, the plane will do its downwind that parallels Waikiki going North, then the base and final to the South. The seats on the right side of the plane will have views of diamond head, waikiki, downtown honolulu. Chuck.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks for the help!

Your brother should be thanking you Pattie for all the wonderful research you did for him!! Any trips for you in the near future?

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks for the help!

Thanks Chuck. I have been watching FlightAware today. I discovered that by clicking on PHNL, you get a good view of planes landing and leaving HNL. Pretty cool. As they get closer to landing time, I will be able to see their final approach. I remember many times getting ready for landing and finally seeing land!! Coming from Michigan, it was a big relief. Seeing Diamond Head, Waikiki, what a thrill!

Fishdiva, I am always wanting a return trip! No immediate plan, but this fall will be my "four years since I've been to Hawaii", and The ITCH will be coming on strong!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,968 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks for the help!

I hope they bring you back a wonderful gift!

And I hope that you can come back to Hawaii soon, yourself!

Betty Lou

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks for the help!

I always like the seats on the left side of the plane. We try to make out each of the islands, off in the distance, as we head into the Hawaiian island chain. Then you get a nice view of Pearl Harbor as you come in to land.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks for the help!

I'm sure they will have a great time.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks for the help!

Actually by the time you are on downwind, base and final, you'll be too excited to really care which side you are on. Chuck.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks for the help!

You are a wonderful sister!!!!

I hope they have an awesome time!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks for the help!

Thanks to all. Their flight came in from the northeast over the north side of Oahu. It headed straight down to the Waikiki and D.Head area heading west, then made the U-turn to head west and land.

BLBL, yes, secretly I'm hoping for a "surprise".

10. Re: Thanks for the help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19